• Interior

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, i recently replaced my Mass Air Flow sensor because my car wasnt Idleing properly, but accelerated fine. After the new (used, stock) MAF sensor was put on, the car idled fine, but when given a good punch on the gas would choke up at about 3000 rpm. If i let off of the gas and wait a second i can slowly creep into the next gear. I also noticed the problem was primarily when within the first 5-10 minutes of driving the car. Also, when sitting at a light, if i accelerate quickly sometimes it does it at lower RPM to. It isnt transmission fluid becuase the Rpms dont even continue increasing, they just stop at 3000 and my engine doesnt rev, nor accelerate. Could this be a MAF sensor problem or something more serious? Desperate to know, please reply. Chris-

Mods- Custom Air intake mouth in Fog light hole.
Performance Plugs
Removed Air Silencer

·
Registered
803 Posts
First, how do the sensor elements look?
like this???

Also, any change concerning the MAF should include a reset of adaptive strategy elements in the EEC.
Best way to do that, remove fuse 15 from underhood fuse block, crank engine for a couple seconds, then reinstall fuse and start driving.

If previous MAF was skewed on the low side of acceptable and the new on is skewed to the high side, the adaptive tables are going to be so far off that it will do what you are describing.
A Q-Tip and windex work good for cleaning the sensor elements.
Otherwise, spray some TB cleaner into the sample tube to get most of the crud off

rm

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried pulling the EEC's from the box and it seemed to work better (there are two 15 fuses in the box, i removed them both and re-inserted them after reving engine for a few minutes). However, i noticed it did choke up on me again one time since. Do i need to take the MAF completely apart or just off to clean it? Chris-

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hmmm, not sure what you have there. There is only on number 15 fuse.
Also, if you pull that fuse the car will not run, it is EEC power.
Near the battery next to the overflow tank of the radiator, look at the underside of the cover and I think it is the bank of fuses closer to the engine, about the 4th from the right, blue.

rm

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are two blue "15" fuses and the car runs and starts beufifully without them in
are they smaller fuses or bigger?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and my sensor elements look like just two small single wires sticking into the hole , none of the extending elements.

I I rather than EEEE

·
Registered
803 Posts
The very large fuses. Fuse number 15. If you look at the underside of the cover it has them numbered. The 15's I think you are refering to are markings on the fuses. 15 amps to be exact.
The one in slot 15 is about 3/8" wide and 1/2" long.

that picture was taken at high magnification.
If you look down the little hole in the MAF you will see the wires. If they are dark black or grey and you do not see shinyness, then they are likely too dirty.

keep working at it , you'll get it.

rm

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
Chris,

Here's a diagram of the Power Distribution Box, located in the engine compartment, next to the battery (from the 1994 Service Manual):

To reset the EEC module, remove fuse #15, try to start the car (it won't start), replace the fuse, and start the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright i cleaned my MAF sensors with an aerosol canned air can, i got the two "poles" chromed out and one of the connecting elements shiny, however the other element looks better, but still not shiny/silvery. I put it back on the car and reset the fuse ( i found the one you were talkin about) and my car pulls harder then ever after 15 mph, i was very impressed. BUT, it wont get off the line, my starts are horrrible now. It seems to creep to 15 mph then just kinda sling shot out into the top of 1st and flies after that. Could i have created a new problem? I havent noticed the choking up at 3000 anymore, just from a dead stop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FINALLY, i cleaned them out once more and it runs like a dream. Quicker Shifting, increased acceleration, im still slightly slower off the line but it seems to pick up much quicker than before. Thanks a ton

1 - 10 of 10 Posts