TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Issue:

My 1995 T-bird with the 4.6L V8 has a very specific stalling problem. When I press the gas, the RPMs drop for half a second and then sometimes they rise back up and other times the car just stalls. This is most notable at a stop light, where it’s a 50 / 50 shot that I stall and have to restart the car (much to my embarrassment).

When I try to restart the car, I need to press the gas to the floor to get it to go and it takes a few seconds before it starts. Interestingly, when I try to start the car first thing in the morning, it starts right up.

The problem goes away completely when the car is warm. In fact, the car runs great when warm.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Clean the IAC, change the plugs (properly gap them) and wires, put in a new air filter, change the oil, Change the PCV valve, clean your MAF, look for cracked vacuum hoses, check all intake hose clamps for tightness, make sure all connectors are plugged in to their proper sensors, ummm scratch your head and throw things at it. Okay not the last bit there, but you get the picture. These can all cause this problem.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
sounds to me like a typical maf problem, clean your maf first

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MAF is new... it was replaced over the summer.

When the MAF went bad it threw a CEL and the idle was terrible. This idles just fine and there are no codes. It just dies when I hit the gas, and sometimes comes back to life, sometimes not.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
MAF is new... it was replaced over the summer.

When the MAF went bad it threw a CEL and the idle was terrible. This idles just fine and there are no codes. It just dies when I hit the gas, and sometimes comes back to life, sometimes not.
Brand new MAF?Whats the part number.Check it against the original Number that was on your MAF.

Also check for vacuum leaks.Possibley a fuel filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts