TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY buddy has a 1995 tbird 3.8L and its snowing alot now so when he has no traction and the tires anr spinnig the car shuts off after he let off gas?
He was donuts in a snowy parking lot and it shut right down?
The car has a brand new motor with like 5000K on it
Is there like a safty shut off on these car or something cuz mine doesnt do it and its a 1990 but diff tranny.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Sounds like his IAC may be sticking. If the IAC sticks, it won't be able to adjust to the change in throttle quickly enough, and the engine will stall. Does the car idle high or anything else like that? Is it throwing a CEL?

-Rod

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I vote for IAC. :D

When he lets off the gas, the throttle plate goes closed and the wheels nearly stop. If the IAC is a bit sluggish or sticky then it won't be putting enough air into the engine to keep it running. This doesn't happen when he's driving because when he lets off, the car is moving and the wheels spinning. So even if the air starvation were occuring, you'd not notice it at all.

EDIT: Dang, Rod beat me to it!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
His idle is fine around the 700rpm mark but when idleing sometimes the rpms drop like 50-100 for like a second and go back up?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
if its while hes doing donuts, and he stops the car while moving backwards, that will stop the motor.
-Thomas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts