TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a '94 Tbird LX 4.6L V8. Lately my engine had been making some weird sounds (almost like lifter tick, but worse). Then, a little after, I noticed that depending on what gear I'm in and the RPM my engine is at, there's a high-pitched whistling that gets higher in higher gears. Plus, my engine had been running lean for quite some time, and occasionally would misfire. Also, my transmission was starting to slip. I know I should have done work on my car, but it's my only transportation and I'm a poor college student. I got it in pretty terrible condition and I had already spent several hundred on it.

Last week, while I was on the freeway, I noticed I couldn't accelerate. Since I was stuck in traffic, I was down to about 20 mph. After having to brake completely, I couldn't accelerate faster than about 15 mph, so I got off at the next exit and stopped at a light. Once I got there, I crossed the intersection, but couldn't go faster than about 8 mph. I pulled into a parking space, let my engine cool, and attempted to drive again. I drove maybe half a mile before I couldn't go any farther. I got it towed to somewhere I can keep it for now until I can get it towed to where I live for free.

As for what it felt like, I think it's pretty odd. It started with my transmission slipping, but then it started to feel like my engine was losing power. I would push down on the gas, and my RPMs wouldn't rise very high, even if I drove in first gear. The gas pedal still felt like it normally does. Once I let my engine cool and got to the second parking lot, I noticed that it felt like my gas pedal was disconnected. I checked under the hood, and I think it looks normal. I had no error codes thrown. My transmission fluid looks clean, and is at normal levels, along with my oil. I had also just flushed my coolant, and it was at the proper level as well.

I tried looking up the symptoms, but I couldn't find anything. Do you guys have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
9,318 Posts
My first guess is clogged cats. Pop the front O2 sensors out and see if it revs better.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
How do you know the car was running lean? My tried and true fix is throw in a new set of spark plugs, and make sure the wires are all on. A misfiring cylinder can really kill a car.

My first guess is clogged cats. Pop the front O2 sensors out and see if it revs better.
Not saying it isn't clogged cats, but be careful with that test. I did exactly that when I thought we had a clogged cat, and it instantly improved a rough idle. So I replaced the cats, but the problem persisted, and ended up being a bad EGR.

So I wasted a lot of money on cats that didn't need replaced. A LOT of money, as aftermarket cats do not last, and I had to replace one again. So take the o2 removal test with a grain of salt, and follow it up with a second test of another type.

Al

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'll test the cats and the throttle linkage when I can - I should be getting it towed home in the next day or two. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
could also be an intake leak, mine wouldn't go over 800 rpms when the resonator came loose, and it idled really rough. thought I blew up the engine that day

1 - 6 of 6 Posts