TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. My 94 Cougar with the worthy 4.6 has been a great car so far with very little trouble. However, it has recently been acting up on me. The problem is that I will start the car up and it won't want to stay running without me giving it a lot of gas. I have to "artificially" keep it running for about 30 seconds to a minute before gradually letting the rpm's down and taking my foot off of the gas. It seems that it will only (sometimes barely) stay running after it warms up for that initial 30 seconds or so. After several minutes of it running and once it starts to warm up to operating temp it runs like a friggin' top. It kind of seems like a large vacuum leak, but after a while it runs just fine. I just don't know what is causing the difficult start. The only thing that seems to be connected with this is that it has only happened when it is very cold. Like below zero cold. Is the car just reacting to the outside temp or is there something wrong? Thanks a lot to anyone who can help me out with a little info.

·
5,650 Posts
Perhaps the IAC valve is stuck and frees up after the engine runs for a little bit. The cold could be causing the valve to hang up. Also, in your other thread you mentioned the broken vacuum line. While that won't cause the condition you are describing, it definitely won't help the engine any. The IAC is responsible for letting the car start without any pedal assist, so you may want to try cleaning or replacing it. I personally wouldn't try to clean it, but some on here have had success.

I'd also try the next time you go to start it to tap on the IAC with a wrench or screwdriver prior to trying to start it. See if that helps any. If it does, you've likely found the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts