TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, it will turn over great, rev then immediately die. if i give it gas it will stay running, but the second i stop giving it gas, it stalls. My neg. battery cable is in corroded all the way through, could this cause it? i was thinkin fuel or pump, but why woudl it run if i give it gas?

edit: the other day the car wouldnt start after driving it 3 mins to the post office, i wiggled the neg battery cable and it started up

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I kind of had a problem like that but my car wouldnt die the power would kill before it would turn over. This morning it did it and i figured out it was the negative wire that hooked on the frame so i'm going out in a bit to clean that up to get a nice contact

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
If the electrical isnt the answer, check the IAC next, you can allways clean that up even tho ford sez replace them...

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
can a bad IAC cuase a very rough idle?, zach try doing the iac thats my bet, replace the negative battery cable also, thats just crazy to leave the way it is being new cables arent to expensive at all

edit: i guess a new battery cable is in order?

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
don't forget, a vacuum leak could cause it as well if it was large enough.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i plan on changing the neg battery cable, but i hear it attaches to the passenger side motor mount and i looked for it and i couldnt really find it too easily! im goin to buy an iac and tps and see which one it "should" be

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
ZackG said:
yeah i plan on changing the neg battery cable, but i hear it attaches to the passenger side motor mount and i looked for it and i couldnt really find it too easily! im goin to buy an iac and tps and see which one it "should" be
One of the motor mount bolts is a stud instead - and the cable goes on it then a bolt goes on top.

It's right above the oil filter.

If you drop the power steering pump and the oil filter it's right there

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok WTF. i started the car, gave it gas, and it IDLED. rough, but it idled. unplugged the IAC, it would die. plugged it back in, and it would start and idle rough w/o me giving it gas. sounds like the IAC. Good thing i ordered it.

Kentwood: and removing the power steering pump is an easy thing to do? Are you sure it goes there, b/c i swear i traced the ground more to the passenger side of the engine...

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts

You can see the stud installed in the upper LT motor mount hole. You do not have to remove the PS pump but it might be a good time to change the oil filter since that will give you some more room to work with.

-Scott

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
sounds liek it may be your iac, did you have any other problems with the car, b/c my guess it could possibly more then one thing cuasing to the idle issues

·
Registered
217 Posts
Don't even worry about the engine ground strap, make yourself a new one. Then attach it to the engine and body ground somewhere accesible.
I did this for a big stereo and it works great.
Don't make the task of replacing it harder than it really is.

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts

The pictures were taken after the first oil change so I think I'm ok on the spillage tip. Never be scared of bathing in the black lava flow of the blockenheds & red blood of the slushbox. It's good for the soul. Do be weary of the pumkin jizz as it does not go well as a Kuh-Log-Knee.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts