TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have a 180 degree T-stat and my chip is burnt for this as well. Before I had my radiator flushed and filled, my temp was smack dab in between Normal and "C"... or 1/3 up the gauge. After the flush and fill couple weeks ago, my car tempurature (at full or highest reached temp) is about 1/4 up the gauge (just above the line right after the "C") ... it is noticeably running colder then before. Is this for the fact that my old Coolant was just nasty and lost its "cooling abilities"... and the new coolant is more efficient? The old coolant had been in there for quite some time im sure (couple years maybe?). Ive read the articles on a lower T-Stat... engine wear and tear blah blah... but i didnt think it would run THIS cold all the time (after the flush). Should I refer back to a factory T-stat? Or am I ok where im at? Thanks :D

·
The Parts Guy
7,306 Posts
As I've said before, the factory gauge is pretty worthless. The factory gauge doesn't tell you what temp the coolant is. My 94 overheated at the "O" of "Normal". If you're worried about it, I'd suggest installing a real temp gauge.

Personally, if the needle is at least moving off the "C", I wouldn't be too concerned.

-Rod

·
Registered
986 Posts
cougar_ricer,

Coolant never loses its "cooling ability", but the additives which provide corrosion protection do deplete over time. That is the real reason why you should change your coolant at regular intervals.

The only aspect of coolant itself which could have affected the temp your engine runs at is the concentration. If your mixture was much higher than 50/50 before, and 50/50 now that you've had the flush and fill, heat transfer from the metal of the engine to the liquid coolant would be improved. This is why Ford recommends never increasing the concentration over 60%, even in cold ambients. All vehicles come with the factory with 50/50 mixture, but if customers add straight coolant to make up any loss, the mixture becomes stronger.

Finally, it is possible that your radiator was partially plugged with corrosion deposits and that the flush and fill cleared them out, improving heat transfer from the liquid coolant to the airstream. Unless your cooling system was in really bad shape, this is the least likely reason you saw the temp shift.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MikeB-

Thank you for the informative answer. Well I can say I definetly added to the mixture quite a bit (coolant and/or water). So i'd say that was my culprit most likely. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts