TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

A picture is worth 1000 words. The other person must think that red lights are like the last yellow at a drag strip and left early, making a left across my front. Jerking the wheel to the right just before impact prevented me from tboning him through the intersection. He was facing opposite at the light wanting to go left. I was passing through a yellow, wasn't speeding, and had plenty of time left. It turned right before I hit the intersection, so I didn't have the distance to stop for it without passing through the intersection. The insurance company is going to total it. I will see what they offer tomorrow. This is my first car accident (that I was driving in). I don't know what to ask them. They calculated $7000 in repairs and if it's over %70 of the value of the car they total it. How much money can I expect from them? Should I buy it back and part it out? Everything still works. The engine was still running and shifted into gear fine afterwards. Can't drive due to flat though. More pics to come.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
What's the mileage of the car? I recently got offered 3700 for my T-Bird. Your Mercury should be valued a bit higher. The settle ment was after my deductable and the buyback for my car. I got totaled over some piddly *** rear-end collision that bent the unibody. Atleast you got a nice legitimate accident out of yours.

Also.. get some pictures of the damage from inside the engine compartment. May be worth it to buy it back and fix.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, you responded with the quickness! I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't sleep around here. You a college student too? The K-member is pushed back some, you can see it in one of the pictures. The sway bar can be seen from the engine compartment pushed back.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Ew... Wait.. That's worse than I expected. If the decklid is out of align then you've got some unibody damage also. Anything worth buying the car back for? Stuff that can't be put back to stock? Just check your blue book and NADA values for the car and make sure you don't get lowballed. I'd say in the neighborhood of 4500-5000 bucks would be pretty reasonabl, again.. based on preloss condition and mileage.

Nope.. Not a college student. Just a west coaster that's a night owl. All I needed to see was the rear-end damage. That's what killed mine. The final estimate was around 8k for mine.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I just gotta get out my SHO speedo and my rear shock tower brace if it isn't a pretzel by now. Other than that and the removed air silencer it's bone stock. That was all going to change very soon, but I'll have to wait and get another MN-12. Preferably Cougar. Preferably 97 so I can use my speedo. Anyone know a good 96-97 4.6 Cougar for sale, maybe black or silver? Leather preferably?

So they might give me 4500-5000 back? That's a surprise. I expected them to lowball me and try 2-3 k. I wouldn't accept it though. My car has 105350 miles on it. It has lots of features except for sunroof and cd player.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know who the other person was insured by, I didn't have any pen or paper to write his name. At the time I was trying to comprehend the whole situation and I didn't think to even ask him for his information, but then he didn't ask me for mine. Looks like I need to find another Cougar then.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me in my '88 a few years ago. Even the damage was the same. I'm curious who got the ticket in your situation. In mine, I got the ticket even though the light changed way too late to stop. All I could do is slide on the wet pavement. I was under the speed limit too. I took it to court but didn't get a chance to fight it because the cop didn't show. That means I didn't have to pay the fine but the other guy(16 yo) didn't have to fix my car either.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
definately totalled, and I would not fix it. Fight them for high book, especially since it's the other guy's insurance paying. Time to start looking for a new mn12 (or maybe a s197?)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really want one like it with the leather and Automatic air and key fob. I got the ticket in the situation. The cops got the other person's information and I assume forwarded it to Insurance. I got the ticket for disregarding traffic light even though it was yellow and I and my two passengers were all able to see it yellow. Being where I am situated, in rural Indiana, going up against someone living in the city all their life and me and my witnesses being African, South American, and me being Arab-American, and coming from different areas, I didn't feel like I could get a fair trial so I pleaded no contest to the ticket. Paid the $126. I asked if it assumes fault for the accident to accept the ticket and the judge said no. I need at least 4-5000 to get any 96-97 V8 cougar in decent condition. We will see what they say.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What's a S197?

Edit: Oh, no way. I'd never be able to afford one. Or the insurance. But I do like them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You know, if this is the way the law works in this situation, it's a perfect set up for a scam. All you have to do is make a left turn in front of someone when the light turns yellow then sue them when they can't stop and hit you. Obviously it can't be your fault that you get hit, according to the law.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
you have my condolences on your loss, don't get screwed by the insurance, good luck finding a new cougie, later'z.......:D

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the advice and support everyone... I appreciate it

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are offering 4300 after deductible. Is that reasonable?

·
Registered
362 Posts
sorry

Was a pretty cougar if you decide to part it please list what you have im sure ill be interested or most of the board to help you recoup the loss

Regg

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
46cougrrr said:
They are offering 4300 after deductible. Is that reasonable?
I would be happy with that, but just for the hell of it i would see if they would offer you anymore, its worth a shot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts