TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is a list of what has been done, and what the symptoms are:

Car runs pretty damn good without the MAF plugged in. As soon as I plug it in...it starts running PIG RICH! I am talking so rich it won't go over 1200 or so RPMs and it just dumps black smoke...I unplug it, and it runs/idles fine? Thoughts???

This is what I have checked:
Maf = brand new and bought another new one...problem doesn't change
Tune: double and triple checked by lonnie
Wireing, checked, double and triple checked
CEL codes: No maf voltage found (only when unplugged) when plugged in: Banks 1 & 2 rich
MAF Wireing: Checked and double checked + verified to another known good car
O2s: new
TPS/IAC/etc... All connected and wired properly.

I switched from an 02GT MAF to an LMAF for the new setup, which consists of:

02 block
9.3:1 CR w/forged internals
Vortech S-trim @ 9-11 PSI
PI heads/cams/intake
42lb FRPP injectors
AFPR
standard pullies
ART system w/ no cats
and I think that covers it.

any ideas guys??????

Shane

·
Registered
46 Posts
This may be kind of out there, but could a bad temp sensor on either the coolant or air cause it to go that rich?

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
She sounds like a gonner to me.....you should just trade cars with me and be done with it. :eek:

I'm stumped though.

At least you're getting good help from Lonnie. The guys at MD can't even find my base tune file so I can't get them to fix my dang MAF dial in. I'm running way lean and it's scaring the heck out of me. I haven't driven the car since last Saturday. I just walk.

Wish I could help ya.

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anyone?

In addition, I have un-plugged all connecters and made sure they were clean...then reconnected. Tried rotating the MAF, etc...Car ran good for about a mile or 2, then went back to running richer than H3LL... I just don't get it!

Shane

·
Registered
654 Posts
Kodiak kid said:
anyone?

In addition, I have un-plugged all connecters and made sure they were clean...then reconnected. Tried rotating the MAF, etc...Car ran good for about a mile or 2, then went back to running richer than H3LL... I just don't get it!

Shane
You just switched to the L-Maf ?? and it will not run or was it running
fine and just quit ?? Lonnie has the transfer functions correct and has
checked out the electrics - TPS sensor,clean the maf wires ect ??

Check your air intake before the maf any sharp bends ??

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Kodiak kid said:
No sharp bends, everything has been checked...Maf is brand new/clean

have you tried using another LMAF? just to make sure. just because it is in the box and new doesnt mean its perfect. you might have a maf that suxors. There has to be another local guy with an LMAF you could try and make sure.

joseph

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
well i had that problem with my lmaf when i first installed it. it was a programing problem and it was fixed when i had lonnie burn the chip for me. i know this is a stupid question and probably already looked at by you and lonnie but, did you give him the numbers off of the top of the maf? i know he told me it was important to give him those because they are different for the different year lmafs.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
1. It was running ok for a while at first?
2. did you rewire the maf when you changed them... they are wired different you know, and last time you ran around for a month or so before lonnie finally got you to wire the first one correctly..........
3. Bet ya you changed fuel pressure regs? What is your fuel pressure set at with a warm engine idleing with vacuum off . you should be showing 40 lbs, and if youre useing BBK for a reg . youll allways end up with probs..Pig rich is a DR trick

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LJ, the 02 MAF and 80mm LMAF are wired differently???? If so, then that is my problem! Also, it runs fine for about 10 minutes...once its cold, it goes PIG rich. And I am using an adjustable reg...set at 39psi. It is a Kirban regulator.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Welcome to the world of power adders and tuning.
You need to positively make sure the MAF is wired correctly and that your fuel pressure is exactly what it should be. A lot of the aftermarket fuel regulators can and will cause problems, so that is a point worth listening to as well. I don't know how you have the plumbing for the air set up and if you have anything that will create turbulence in front of the MAF, then nobody will be able to straighten it out.
Most importantly, no tune is going to work unless the car is set up properly and running in the condition that the tune is expecting it to. Keep in mind that it usually takes most above average people some actual time to make things like this work properly. It isn't as easy as plug and play.
Given the proper time, patience and understanding, it will get better. Just make sure you keep a humble, appreciative and respectful attitude and don't light up any bridges that may lead to the answers and help that you really need.

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Darrin,

Since the car is drivable w/out the MAF (yes, I drive it like a grandma), I have patience, I am just confused! The intake setup is a Conacle filter, MAF, and then the inlet to the blower. The fuel pressure was set to 39-40PSI at idle without vacuum.

Are the LMAF and 02 GT MAFs wired differently? if so, that is probably my problem, since I didn't touch the wiring after I pulled the GT MAF off. Any ideas on that?

Shane

1 - 20 of 175 Posts