TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some quick advice, tonight my car would not start. =(

I put the car in run, auto lamps go on (along with dashboard/radio etc.), and I try to start the car, and no luck. It simply makes a moaning like sound that cars typically make before it actually kicks in.

This may be a lame example, but hey, it may help someone out there comprehend what im talking about.

Starting Typical car:
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

My car:
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

A friendly helper came up to me and told me my starter was bad, he also mentioned that he was a certified mechanic for 26 years.

Ideas? Suggestions? How hard is it to change the starter?

Much thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Starter???

take it off and take it to an Advanced Auto part store to have it checked...

To change it its just a matter of positive and negative putting things where they go. It's easy to locate and change...

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
hey i did this sunday. locate the solenoid on the drivers side by the battery. take a screwdriver and put it across the two posts. it should try to start. if it doesnt then you need a new starter.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
well if its the solenoid then everything would turn off, and you would have to disconnect and reconnect the battery (at least thats how it was on mine), and my solenoid was on the starter itself.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
us people with the older cars have two solenoids. one right behind the battery, and one integrated into the starter. the "rrrrr" can somtimes be the solenoid being a POS, so my advice would be to (and make sure the car is in park at this time) turn the key to the 'on' position, and connect the two terminals of the first solenoid with a screwdriver (make sure you only touch the plastic handle. And if that does nothing, then do the same to the second solenoid on the starter. If still nothing you can try tapping the starter with a hammer. Sometimes the brushes get out of alignment and tapping the starter nudges them back in to place. If still nothing, then it's time for a new starter.
-Thomas

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a new starter, it fixed the problem.

I was suprised when I went to start the car with the new starter that it still takes a few seconds to click. Is there an easy way to make it fire up right away (as is common with new cars)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts