TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble starting my 89 base T-Bird. I sprayed some starter fluid in the intake and it runs for 2 secs and dies. A mechanic pushed down on the fuel rail valve stem and some gas came out but he said it wasn't enough pressure. He said the fuel pump is bad, and $180 for labor.There is another v6 bird I can get parts off of to help my car get going. Hopefully if I change the fuel filter it will fix the problem. Is there anything else I should look for?

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I'm having trouble starting my 89 base T-Bird. I sprayed some starter fluid in the intake and it runs for 2 secs and dies. A mechanic pushed down on the fuel rail valve stem and some gas came out but he said it wasn't enough pressure. He said the fuel pump is bad, and $180 for labor.There is another v6 bird I can get parts off of to help my car get going. Hopefully if I change the fuel filter it will fix the problem. Is there anything else I should look for?
Unlikely replacing the fuel filter will do anything. Your mechanic should have put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail instead of simply pressing down on the schrader, but he may be correct - especially with the starter fluid only allowing the car to run momentarily. $180 doesnt sound bad, considering its usually around 4 hours labor on average.

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
Before paying to have a fuel pump replaced, check the inertia switch in the trunk on the left side. There is a little red button that pops up if there is an impact to the car, which cuts power to the fuel pump. Press the button down, then cycle the key on and off a few times and see if the car starts.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OK I'll barrow a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone this time, I remember I tried the o rileys I couldn't get to work. Thanks again.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got my fuel pump replaced and now my car fires right up, and I don't have to wait for it to crank over for a hella long time. I miss driving my 92SC that's been gone over a month for repairs, its been so hot out here in CA that my dad can't get much work done on the car. I'm just glad I got one of my T-Birds running good again. Thanks for everyone's help, I should have listened to you guys and changed the fuel pump sooner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts