TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so, I had the same problem this morning that I had three weeks ago today. turn the key, nothing happens, no cranking, no clicking, no noise of any kind what so ever. Battery is good, alternator is good. It is as if I am trying to start the car with the shifter in some gear other than PARK or NEUTRAL.

The ignition lock cyl. was replaced a year ago, and is fine. All fuses are good.

So, is it the ignition module under the dash, or is it the neutral safety switch or something else? I don't think it's the starter going out because it doesn't do the click click click

If it is the module under the column, how do I change it?

any ideas?

thanks

Earl

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Doesnt do anything. Good battery, replaced the ignition switch, checked voltage to the starter. Everything checked out. Then again... the car sat for over 2 years so I have to do a little more digging. I need to tow it to my house so it's easier to work on.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The clock DOES NOT reset and the radio presets DO NOT reset.

The idiot lights and the climate control do what they normally do when you start the car, put your car in drive and try to start it...that is exactly what my car does. Except it does this in PRND21

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
I don't mean to insult by asking, but have you checked for voltage at the starter with the key in start? I didn't read that you did/didn't...

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a multimeter :( so no I haven't checked the voltage at the starter....my scanguage always shows right around 12 volts when this goes on and I always have 12-14 volts when driving, idle, etc.

battery is good, alternator is new....

Maybe it's the solenoid on the starter? maybe I should just replace the ignition module, MLPS and the starter....

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
I would think the scangauge gets its voltage readings from the PCM, which monitors the charging circuit, or the battery's voltage. So your starter may or may not be getting voltage (Multimeters are $20 or less at Home Depot). If it is, I'd guess bad solenoid. If not... then your problem lies elsewhere in the ignition circuit.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that if you lightly tapped the starter and solenoid with a small hammer while someone tries to start the car, it will start.

·
Super Moderator
10,571 Posts
Did you trip the stock alarm?

There's a starter interlock in the alarm; did that at school once. :)

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my car doesn't have the stock alarm, or any alarm at all...it did the same thing last night and I had to walk home...messed with it for 40 minutes and no luck...I bet it would start now though

·
Super Moderator
10,571 Posts
Put it up on ramps, and put a large momentary switch from the big + lead to the solenoid.

Run the wires up to somewhere safe and comfy in the engine compartment; the next time it pulls this BS, try the switch. If it doesn't work, it's either the starter, or the big wires going to it.

The large wire going to the starter has been known to be rusted out, and still look good on a meter, just not start the car. (Search, I traced this out for someone last year)

An unfused switch directly on the starter is fairly dangerous, so beware! This could set your car on fire if done wrong.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, I have no interst in running a switch or anything especially if it can start a fire....car fires are no fun, been there, done that...if the wire is no good, is there an OE replacement available?

BTW I started the car today, no problem...seems to do this when it is still warm

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
go to ford and let us know. im on the road till thursday and wanted to check that out. let us know how much thety are if they got them. i went to the wreckers and took 1 off but still got the same problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts