TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
I started my car and felt something near the key pop. Now the key moved freely and the car wont turn off. If I turn it forward, it makes that "Crrrank" noise because it's trying to start again...but it's already running. When i turn the key backward, it just moves freely. I took the key out and it's still out there running.
#1, how do I turn the car off without doing any damage? Talk to me like a 3 year old because I'm not going to know what you're telling me to do if you just say "pull the *blank* wire..."
#2, WTF??
It's a '95 4.6L T-bird.

Well, I got it to turn off. I pulled the wire assembly that connects to the plugs. Then I disconnected the battery.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
not sure whats the safest way prob press the fuel cutoff switch in the trunk for now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure whats the safest way prob press the fuel cutoff switch in the trunk for now.
I didn't know there was one in the truck. I crawled under the car to find the fuel line but it was too hard to squeeze. I don't know why I thought it would be made of rubber...:p
I disconnected the battery so it wouldn't think it was still running & drain all my juice.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
yea there is a button in the trunk fuel pump cutoff you can use that.

·
Super Moderator
12,844 Posts
Mine did the same thing.

Without a picture this will be hard to explain but I'll try.

My Answer to Q#1: Just open the air box up and smother the engine. (Put your hand over the air intake until the engine dies). Then unhook the battery so the car doesn't drain the juice.

OR try this - Until I got mine fixed I left the steering column cover off and fashioned a pick with a piece of coat hanger to pull the other half of the linkage back to shut the car off.

My Answer to Q#2: There's a pin between the plastic bar that you push forward in the steering column when you turn the key to the start position. It's there to allow the tilt steering to work. This pin has a nasty habit of separating itself from where it's suppose to live.

Pull your key tumbler and take the cover off of your steering column and you'll see what I'm talking about. The only fix for this is to replace the pin.

Pictures and more info in post #16.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine did the same thing.

My Answer to Q#1: Just open the air box up and smother the engine. (Put your hand over the air intake until the engine dies0. Then unhook the battery so the car doesn't drain the juice.

OR #1A (See Below)

My Answer to Q#2: There's a pin between the plastic bar that you push forward in the steering column when you turn the key to the start position. It's there to allow the tilt steering to work. This pin has a nasty habit of separating itself from where it's suppose to live.

Pull your key tumbler and take the cover off of your steering column and you'll see what I'm talking about. The only fix for this is to replace the pin.

#1A Until I got mine fixed I left the steering column cover off and fashioned a pick with a piece of coat hanger to pull the other half of the linkage back to shut the car off.

If you need more info I can get you a picture.
That was a pretty good explanation, I think I should be able to figure it out. Thank you.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
dude

either hit hte fuel shut off

or unplug the IAC sensor if you can reach it.. kills it every time :)

·
Super Moderator
7,722 Posts
That would have to be the most ghetto thing ever, driving around a car that you have to punch the quarter panel to get it to shut off. It almost makes me want to do that in front of a crowd just to mess with people.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine did the same thing.

My Answer to Q#1: Just open the air box up and smother the engine. (Put your hand over the air intake until the engine dies0. Then unhook the battery so the car doesn't drain the juice.

OR #1A (See Below)

#1A Until I got mine fixed I left the steering column cover off and fashioned a pick with a piece of coat hanger to pull the other half of the linkage back to shut the car off.

If you need more info I can get you a picture.
I've gotten as far as I can without help. I bought the plastic slider for $12 and got a quote for $150. I can see the slider but I don't know how to get to it. I also don't know what you attached the hanger to...

·
Super Moderator
12,844 Posts
Good job. I forgot what a PITA working in there was. I think I actually had to pull the two screws that hold the steering column in place to get to it. Can you see the connection where the pin slipped out of place? I just want to be sure that you're having the same problem that I was having.

I think I hooked the coat hanger in the hole where the pin fits in and pulled it back from there to shut the car off until I could get it fixed.

See post #16 for more info.

Anybody else familiar with the steering column feel free to chime in.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
I would have pulled the number 13 or 15 fuse .

·
It is nice
885 Posts
what year did they change the black piece the key fits into that looks like the old style from my 91 guess they changed it in 97?? sry im not much help maybe the ignition cylinder itself as a guess might wanna try removing that and seeing if anything is broken since the key is messed also at same time. I think u just push that little hole with a pen while key is in igniton and on acc then pull outward whole thing comes out. other than that not sure prob what trunk monkey said.. good luck

·
Super Moderator
12,844 Posts
With the column tilted down and the key in and turned back one notch you can see the linkage that I'm talking about where the column pivots and the pin that connects them should be.

You can see the pin in mine in the picture below. Make sure that your pin is in place and the linkage moves forward and back as you turn your key. This is where mine seperated and I had the same "car won't shut off" problem that you described. My guess is that your pin has fallen out too. I marked the location on your car in the second photo below.

I fashioned a coat hanger and hooked the lower linkage in the eyelet where the pin was missing and pulled it back to turn the car off. This is a good temporary solution until you can get it fixed.

You'll need to remove the two screws that hold the steering column in place to replace that pin. Be careful of that big spring that pushes the column up when you release the tilt steering lever.

Unless your very confident in your skills I'd let a pro or some one who's pulled a steering column apart before do it.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you. Am I going to have to remove the steering wheel? All I was planning to do was remove those two star bolts. That won't let me to it?

·
Super Moderator
12,844 Posts
I think just removing the star bolts will allow you enough access. Was it the pin that I thought it was on your car?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Did you end up getting it fixed? This happened to me and I remember it sucked fixing. I cant remember all I had to do but I remember I had the steering wheel off and everything. It never felt right after I put it back together either.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope. i haven't fixed it yet. I pulled the steering wheel and everything else. I can't get it to drop down and allow me to remove that "actuator." I worked on it for a few hours today and I guess this just isn't going to work out. I put the steering wheel back on, but not the airbag or the cruise controls, and now my freaking horn wont stop blowing! Lol. I had to disconnect the horn for now. It looks like I'm just going to have to pay a professional to do this job, guys. This isn't working out and I'm afraid my airbag is going to knock me out when I reconnect it.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts