TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car won't turn off. Usually when you turn on the car, you feel the clicks as you turn the key to start the car, but now nothing, until I start the car.

The car starts up fine, but I can't turn the car off. My key comes out and everything. Something is either broken or loose inside the key ignition slot.

Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

The only way I can turn my car off is pulling a fuse.

·
Super Moderator
9,262 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thank you. Man that seems like a lot of work.

This car is sure giving me a lot of problems! :mad:
Yeah, it is a lot of work, but it goes pretty quickly once you get started. My car did this the morning after I bought it, and I ended up taking the column out of the car. I tried to work on it in the car, but I would have saved myself a ton of aggravation by just pulling the column and working on it inside.

I got the parts at my local ford dealer, walked out of there with both pieces for less than $30. I used these part numbers (copied this from another thread regarding this problem)

F2DZ-3E723-A
ACTUATOR
This is a long white, plastic rod with a pin at the end that goes from the ignition lock to the other part.

and the other one is

F0DZ-3E715-A
ACTUATOR
This is another long white, plastic bar that actually moves the ignition switch under the dash.

(A BIG thank you to RyanFL83 for providing that tidbit of info)

This job will seriously try your patience at times, but numerous people on here have done it. I found most of the threads that I used for info with the search terms --ignition actuator-- Go get the parts, and spend plenty of time reading. If you get into a jam, give a holler. I will be subscribing to this thread, as this is still fresh in my mind, and I remember how infuriating it was at times. Lemme know if I can be of any help.......

·
Registered
72 Posts
for others reading this thread in the archives via the search function. here is a webpage with lots of pictures of a steering column from a 2003 ford taurus.

http://www.p71interceptor.com/steering/column/disassembled/taurus/2003

the internal mechanical parts of this taurus steering column are very similar to a ford thunderbird steering column. however, to install this column into a thunderbird, you would need to swap the following support components:
-steering wheel
-airbag clockspring
-turn signal multifunction switch
-dashboard mounting bracket
-and for some years, the big shaft which connects the steering wheel to the base of the column is a slightly different length

the column shift vs center console issue is really easy to adapt. just unbolt the shift tube from the steering column and install the center console shift interlock cable in it's place.

and the culprits behind your problem

or possible this gear

1 - 6 of 6 Posts