TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped a 5.0 in my 94sc and I am having issues as expected. Now she doesn't do anything when I turn the key which might be because I have a lot of the plugs not plugged in. I don't have any spark plugs/wires/coil hooked up. I just wanted to see if it it turn over but it didn't. I then went to the starter and with a screw driver I got the starter itself to turn over. I could hear the starter motor turning over but the motor on the car didn't one bit. What could that mean? The starter is brand new. Should turning the starter motor over connect it with the flexplate and turn the motor over???

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Is the fly wheel suppose to be different???I ran into that problem with my PI swap.Make sure you have the ground hooked up on the starter.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a flywheel for a 5.0 and a 5.0 starter

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttt i need help. All I hear is clicking. I put the charger on the battery and the battery is fairly new. All I hear is clicking what could it be? My 94 sc has some antitheft system in it and could that cause it not to spin?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Ok so the starter is ingaging.If your anti theft was the problem whouldnt it kill power to the starter???I whould think you have a bad ground or loose connection somewhere.Check the termanals on the bat and trace them back to your starter.Look for anything out of the ordinairy.
Good luck

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
could you tell me how the wiring should be on a 94+ tbird?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right now I have one stud connected to the postive battery cable, the smaller stud is connected to the solenoid. and the 3rd stud is not connected to anything is this correct? If I leave it like that I get nothing no clicks or anything, but if I connect the negative battery cable to that last stud I get clicking from the starter

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Well i know on the 4.6 starter there is one post for the positive and a small tab for the ground.I found the ground not being hook up right which caused my no starting issues.But no clicking.I still think you have a bad ground somewhere but it is hard for me to diagnose that with out being there.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
95xbird said:
Well i know on the 4.6 starter there is one post for the positive and a small tab for the ground.I found the ground not being hook up right which caused my no starting issues.But no clicking.I still think you have a bad ground somewhere but it is hard for me to diagnose that with out being there.
I'm stumped as to why it would click and not turn over. I added an extra ground of the starter bolt and still nothing just a click

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Does the motor turn freely by the crank???Pull your plugs and try to turn the motor by hand and see if it turns.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes it turns freely. I checked today and I have 12volts at the starter

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
If you have 12volts at the starter and it turns freely then it shouldnt have a problem turning over and starting.Make sure you have everything hooked up like wires, coil ect....Crank sensor maybe???

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
95xbird said:
If you have 12volts at the starter and it turns freely then it shouldnt have a problem turning over and starting.Make sure you have everything hooked up like wires, coil ect....Crank sensor maybe???
this is a 3.8sc to a 5.0 conversion car. There really isn't many things that need to be hooked up for you to jump the solenoid to get it to turn over

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE:
defective starter, low output battery. New battery under warntee and new starter under warntee

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You get it to start?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts