TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
I was watching the History channel today and they were talking about beans, and as far as I can remember they used soy beans to mold panels to tractors to reduce weight with all the retained strength.

Henry Ford proved it with a car he made that had "soy bean" plastic molded panels. Advantages are that the soybean panels are more easily molded than steel ... now all we need is some one to mold removable panels for the Thunderbirds of ours to drop weight. :tongue: http://www.thehenryford.org/research/soybeancar.aspx

At the History channel section I couldn't find a good video but "Modern Marvels: beans" was the title of the show. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I ran across that show earlier while channel surfing. I didn't watch it.

Very interesting. There's already a great deal of plastic in Thunderbirds. Both the front and rear bumpers are plastic. The tail lights, headlights and headlight mounting panel are plastic, etc. etc.

You also have the option to go buy a carbon fiber hood.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran across that show earlier while channel surfing. I didn't watch it.

Very interesting. There's already a great deal of plastic in Thunderbirds. Both the front and rear bumpers are plastic. The tail lights, headlights and headlight mounting panel are plastic, etc. etc.

You also have the option to go buy a carbon fiber hood.
well i know about the carbon fiber hood being avalable :tongue: i wish we could get some fenders made of carbon fiber,maybe even some soy plastic :tongue: that'd relive about 10 lbs (?) and a alunimum block for the 3.8 would be nice :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts