TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a can of the Ford carbon cleaner today. It's the stuff you spray into the TB till the can is empty then shut the motor off for 5 minutes and then run the motor to blow out the carbon. I was thinking about it and with our intake manifolds especially
the deeper PI isn't the fluid going to pool in the bottom of the intake ? I don't think there would be enough "suction to pull all the fliud into the heads. Also does this stuff weep past the rings and dilute the oil. If so should you change the oil after?

Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry, I have no clue about the stuff, but I would like to know your results after you clean your engine. I've been thinking about doing the same thing for a couple weeks now. My car's got 90xxxmiles now and myabe it's time for a little engine bath.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard about the stuff from J.L (thanks J.L.) and after I saw the pics of his piston tops I was convinced it works. He had no carbon build up on top of his pistons compared to mine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It works, but when you are doing the car start sputtering and I got a little scared, but I did It. It is definitely cleaner. Do it. If you want to of cource.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
birdmandan said:
It works, but when you are doing the car start sputtering and I got a little scared, but I did It. It is definitely cleaner. Do it. If you want to of cource.
Sounds rather straightforward...spray the stuff in, wait 5 minutes, then run the car, don't worry about the sputtering.

Anything else we should be aware of?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Do you think this would cause any problems on a Mark VIII? Any noticeable gains from doing this?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Anyone have a part number or name for this container?.....I find that in order to get anything at the local dealer i have to have the exactly part name/number, and even with that, half the time they try to tell me it doesn't exist or won't work for my car. <sigh>....

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
D9AZ-19579-AA

I believe this is the part number you are looking for.

I doubt it would hurt your Mark 8. I used it on my AED and everything worked fine. Also have used it on my 3.8 without any problems.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I dont mean too sound like a dick, but thats what they are for cleaning the carbon, duh, it wont harm anything, the fluid at the bottom. do you have any idea how hot it is in the motor, and how much its suck, the fluid will most likely evaporate, everyone should use this, and for the mark viii use it. you dont have to get them from the dealer go to your local autopart store and get them they,(carb cleaner) also a good i dea to read the directions.
________
buy marijuana seeds

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MRCYCOUG said:
I dont mean too sound like a dick, but thats what they are for cleaning the carbon, duh, it wont harm anything, the fluid at the bottom. do you have any idea how hot it is in the motor, and how much its suck, the fluid will most likely evaporate, everyone should use this, and for the mark viii use it. you dont have to get them from the dealer go to your local autopart store and get them they,(carb cleaner) also a good i dea to read the directions.
I will guarantee you if you use this stuff as per the directions you WILL have big puddle in the bottom of the intake. There is no way the engine is going to suck hard
enough at 700-800 rpms to get it all into the combustion chamber. I sprayed some on my work bench and it doesn't evaporate too well at room temp so sure hope the heat helps.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
AEDM8 said:
D9AZ-19579-AA

I believe this is the part number you are looking for.

I checked a couple dealerships here. The updated part number they list is PM-2, and is called Carburator Cleaner. Even www.fordparts.com displays PM-2 when you search for the D9AZ number. Is this the same stuff?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The guy at the local parts counter knew what I needed. Gave him that PN and I got what I wanted.

Id say what they have sounds about right.

Dont worry about the pooling. The engine might "almost" die on you. Just give it a second and let it do its thing. Then start spraying again. Follow the directions and you'll be OK.

Dont knock it till you try it.

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Is there an alternative to the Ford part? Would plain carb. cleaner work, as well?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
There is also a better cleaning source if you care to let the dealer do bc you need the regulated pressure sprayer for the BG intake kit... comes with one can to put in gas tank... and two cans mixed to spray through the intake. It cleans alot better than the carb cleaner although both does work. To clean with either one ... disconect the MAF sensor and intake tube ... hold the engine rpms at about 1000-1500rpms .... clean the throttle plate while you there... do the normal reset of computer and then blow the carbon out ... the reason is bc sometimes loose carbon may hold a valve open or cause a misfire in severe cases, thus needing to pull the plugs and clean them.
ON another note ... '95 mustang gt did the BG ... blew out the largest cloud of black smoke ... then ran fine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just had my brother hold the gas at about 1500 rpm's and I sprayed cheap Carb Cleaner I got from autozone and It starts to sputer and you see black smoke come out.(the more black smoke=the more carbon that was built up) Thats about it, I did not feel a diffrence, but that is due to the fact I have no arms or legs and cannot hear or see. :bangwall:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
IronChopz said:

I checked a couple dealerships here. The updated part number they list is PM-2, and is called Carburator Cleaner. Even www.fordparts.com displays PM-2 when you search for the D9AZ number. Is this the same stuff?
I thought carburator cleaner was bad for the coatings on the TB?? I'd use one of those straws so I could spray it past the TB. And if carb cleaner is indeed the same thing as the D9 part #, is there anything special about the Ford stuff?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I heard from a automotive teacher at the tech school near me that the Ford additives
are way better than any thing else on the market. For what ever that's worth.

The stuff I bought has part number CXC-52-B and it's called tune up cleaner.
I have no idea what the differance is.:confused:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Its not probably is better, but it also probably cost more. Thats just my opinion...

·
Registered
153 Posts
What I wanted to say was...

It probably is better, but it also probably cost more. Thats just my opinion...

·
Registered
310 Posts
While I haven't done this cleaning on my T'bird yet I did search a lot of sources about doing this to a 5.0. "They" recommended this type of cleaning if your motor has over 50K. The actual process they recommended was basically the same as listed above.

On the 5.0, disconnect the tube running from the oil filler cap to the throttle body and spray carb/TB cleaner into the tube leading to the throttle body. Spray for about a second and keep the rpm's up to prevent stalling. Repeat. Although, I can't remember how many times "they" recommended. Carb/TB cleaner is safe, as long as it safe for catalytic converters - for those of you who have them. :D

The best way to clean the throttle body is to remove it and clean it - according to "them".

But, I do believe the dealerships do a better job of this type of cleaning - per a Ford master technician (not me, a friend).

I'll just wait and see what happens to everyone else's Bird before I do it to mine - he he, just kidding.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts