TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little ways away from making the interior a project yet, but I remember a while back a lot of guys stating there was realy no real good carpet kits available. Any change? Is anyone now making a good fitting high quality carpet kit?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have also been wondering this. I found a place www.accmats.com that seems to have some pretty nice stuff. I was wondering if anyone has tried thier carpet? I am getting ready to redo the interior in my 97 and the acc carpet with the mass backing looks pretty nice.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I got their carpet 6 years ago. I think it is comparable to the original.

I don't think anyone has found any top shelf stuff.

·
Banned
754 Posts
what's so bad about the stuff floating around now?? I've seen somewhere(forget where now) they had all kinds of colours, and I wanted to get a blue carpet at some point..... I don't wanna buy crap though.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
The bad is that it isn't plug and play the holes aren't precut so it's up to the user and installer ultimately depending on how much time is spent installing it to decide how well it looks. Mass backing is much more ridgid and helps with heat and noise but it is also heavier and more difficult to work with than the standard light woven backing. The aftermarket carpets also are oversized so a lot needs to be trimmed from the front back and sides to make it fit like the original which wasn't installed that great either. This is why so many people who want to do a black carpet swap use a good condition mark 8 carpet. It's lighter precut holes are precut and it drops right in. A few users on here myself included are using the acc mat's I'm pretty happy with the way mine turned out but just like the factory piece it's far from perfect.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just did a color swap, from grey to black in a 96 Cougar, using the ACC carpet. Went with the mass backing, heavier as mentioned, and difficult to manuever, but not extremely so. You will have to strip out your interior completely, and let the carpet sit in the sun for a few hours before trying to work with it. If I had been able to locate a Mark 8 black carpet in VG or better condition, I would have gone that route. But...in hindsite, I have no complaints about the aftermarket carpet, just that it does not fit like the original molded one. This is only noticeable in the back floor pan area, where the rear passengers place their feet. Everything in the front and on the sides looks and fits fine.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
the only area im not 100% happy with is the drivers right leg area with mine but it looks ok and fits pretty well otherwise. Plus since I'm the only one who drives it I'm the only one to notice lol

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
That black carpet does look pretty nice. In your guy's opinoin how much does the mass back carpet cut down on noise ect? Im not sure if its worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pull the carpet and power wash it. My was too far gone, basically fell apart when I tried to wash it. Gave me good reason to do the color swap. As mentioned, I would have preferred a MK 8 carpet, but took what I could and made the best of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts