TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so my bird has been sitting for roughly a year and Its going back on the road very soon. I'm trying to come up with a checklist of things to do before getting it going again. So far this is what I have.

1. Change oil and filter.
2. New coolant
3. Charge battery

Thats all I've got. I'm not sure if it will even start at first, because when I took it off the road there was about 1 gallon of gas in the tank. I told my dad to run it till it was empty while I was gone for the week after I took off the road but I'm not sure if he did or not. Also the Brake rotors are have a lot of rust on them from sitting. Will they have to be taken off and cleaned or will the rust just rub off as I drive???

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I would check/do the following:

Remove any live animals...
Repair any wiring that said live animals ingested....
Check all your hoses (brakes/vacuum/fuel/etc.) for leaks (and/or critter damage…)
I would at least pull the wheels and take a wire brush to the rotors to get the majority of the rust off
Change the fuel filter (unless it's relatively new)

Just basically give it a good visual going over to make sure everything is the way it was when you parked it.

Good luck and I hope it fires up! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
12,914 Posts
Give the tires a good visual inspection for dry rot or other visible damage. Check the date of manufacture on all of your tires if they're more than six years old I'd replace them regardless of visible appearance.

Check the air pressure and inflate accordingly - Including the spare tire.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Mice like exhaust pipes. Sometimes one or two moderate revs after starting will blow them out, but the stash they bring in with them could still plug things up.

One winter I shot a few mice right through the snowbank that was pushed up about two feet or so behind my 74 Dart Swinger. Since I parked it for the winter, I'd go out about once a week to start it up and let it warm up. Then rap on the pipes a bit, and shut it down. When I was walking back to the house I noticed two nice clean holes in the snowbank....and two mice on the ground behind it further still that were just twitching like crazy.

I about fell down laughing when I realized that these mice were the unwilling recipients of a "Supersonic Facewash". :rofl:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
make sure you have clean transmission fluid and it is up to level.....firing up will do you no good on a slipping transmission
This tranny was already a weak point of the car before I took it off the road (nothing major...just the usual ford stuff) but I've heard that sometimes changing the tranny fluid is the straw that breaks the camel's (in this case bird's) back. Is that true??

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
This tranny was already a weak point of the car before I took it off the road (nothing major...just the usual ford stuff) but I've heard that sometimes changing the tranny fluid is the straw that breaks the camel's (in this case bird's) back. Is that true??
If the clutches have already been worn out then yes. Once you remove the old fluid you also remove the loose clutch material and shortly after tranny will not engage anymore.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would check/do the following:

Repair any wiring that said live animals ingested....+1
Check all your hoses (brakes/vacuum/fuel/etc.) for leaks (and/or critter damage…)+1,000,000
I would at least pull the wheels and take a wire brush to the rotors to get the majority of the rust off
Change the fuel filter (unless it's relatively new) and drain the tank, refill with fresh fuel with 1/2 can of seafoam in the tank and change/clean the plugs

Just basically give it a good visual going over to make sure everything is the way it was when you parked it.

Good luck and I hope it fires up! :thumbsup:
This is good advise

·
Registered
170 Posts
Run some seafoam through the gas to get some possible water/moisture out.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If the clutches have already been worn out then yes. Once you remove the old fluid you also remove the loose clutch material and shortly after tranny will not engage anymore.
This is all too true. Haooened to me in a 84 Camaro. Nonetheless, you should perform ALL maintenance and do NOT forget to ensure proper brake safety. If you need to turn the rotors than turn them... everything else might leave you stranded at the end of a tow bill, bit bad brakes can leave your *** in a collision that is your fault AND without a car!

As said before, check for anything that animals could have damaged. It may have sounded cute or funny, but it is no BS... they can screw things up bigtime!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
This is all too true. Haooened to me in a 84 Camaro. Nonetheless, you should perform ALL maintenance and do NOT forget to ensure proper brake safety. If you need to turn the rotors than turn them... everything else might leave you stranded at the end of a tow bill, bit bad brakes can leave your *** in a collision that is your fault AND without a car!

As said before, check for anything that animals could have damaged. It may have sounded cute or funny, but it is no BS... they can screw things up bigtime!
Correct me please, not claim to be a tranny expert but have had several tranny guys tell me that is what happens or rather why that happens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts