TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have a 1997 Mercury Cougar and during main dissassembly of the 4R70W, I noticed the end of the case to center support spring was digging into the side of the case, i'm assuming this is normal?

A little history, I've had the vehicle since it was new and changed the atf every 30k, then the pan started leaking. Stopped driving it until someone wanted to borrow it, get it back slipping in 1st. 2nd and reverse works to my knowledge as I did not drive the car over 20mph after the slippage.

Bought a kit from ATP at NAPA and new torque converter, using the service manual as a guide. This weekend i'll be disassembling the sub-assemblies to get to the bottom of this.

Do I reuse the reverse and overdrive bands? How do I tell if they need to be replaced?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just bought a inerceptor trans a changed the shift linkage worked fine

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
All those style springs dig into the case it doesn't hurt anything, in the later years they redesigned the spring to one that doesn't. The overhaul kit you got is not a master rebuild kit because nobody offers one. You need to order the rest of the parts individually. The overdrive band is probably the worst friction in the transmission, the reverse bands do get reused. Look at the kit I assemble on my website. That is a pretty common parts list, but technically much more than a simple rebuild kit.
Alan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts