·
Registered
2,936 Posts
cast

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I found a Mark8 short block here an hour from me. I really want the aluminum block, and i just wanted to know if the crank was the same as the cobra unit (forged). I would have just used the crank and block. I am going to go with forged pistons, rods, .020 overbore, alum block, PP PI SOHC heads, 3-angle valve job, PI cams, and a vortech soon after.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
That crank (mark viii) will hold quite a bit of power. It should hold 450 horsepower. If you plan on going with more than that then the forged crank might be a good upgrade. Are you going to go with stock rods? I would probably at least go with a set of forged I-beams with a blower setup. Sounds like a good setup.

Russell

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah forged rods...forgot to say that

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I'd go cast. I spoke with John from Modular Performance on this issue and he said unless you plan on going over 700 hp at the crank, the cast will be ample and feels that it can go higher for power if you keep the rpm's down. He had a Lightning dyno at 650 rwhp and it threw the stock, cast rod while the cast crank held. If I recall, he said that he's never seen a cast one fail for that matter, but don't quote me on that.

Pete

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going with the V-1 head unit CCW (counter clockwise rotation) Kit for the 96-97 stang. Chris

·
Registered
748 Posts
Chris.....the cast will hold safely about 500hp....I got that from a REALLY good source!
Also.......I'd SUGGEST going with P&P NPI's. When I come down after the CAT is back, we can discuss this more in depth. For the most part, you can get more flow from the NPI's than the PI's. This info is coming from a VERY reliable source. Why do you think alot of peeps are going after the NPI heads now for P&P work???

I just went a step higher......SVO P&P heads. I'd almost tell ya to go that route but unless you can find a set.........and have about $4000 to buy them and get the work done to them......I don't think that would be an option.

Well, here's a few things to consider also. Go with main studs and head studs instead of bolts.....more clamping power...........but alittle more $$$ too.

Later.
Slowride

1 - 13 of 13 Posts