TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know it sounds confusing but the two pipes come from the enigine and they have a cat on each and then it goes down to a small box which i think is the muffler and then runs down splits and goes to two res. so for the catback do i take out the muffler box and pipes and res. and put it in from the cats to the two mufflers?

I know its worded really wierd but somebody please explain this to me.
-Ben

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Here's how the system goes stock. Two exhaust manifolds go into 2 main cats. From they combine at a 3rd cat, then single pipe to a resonator. From the resonator back is a single pipe that then splits into 2 mufflers. At least thats how it is on the V8s, not sure about V6.

Anyways, a cat back system that is a simple bolt in installation replaces the entire system PAST the resonator. So you still keep all 3 stock cats and the resonator before the exhuats hits the cat-back system.

·
Registered
244 Posts
or, possibly in his case, the 96-97 i believe do not have the resonator, which would indicate the "single" box, which is the 3rd cat.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Ahh, and so I stand corrected. thank you BR1

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Here's a good picture to see what things are.

Some 96/97s didnt have the Res. but should still have all three cats. Like everyone said the Flowmaster kit comes with a pipe to delete the res. The Dynomax kit does not but can easily buy a pipe to do that with.

I know AverageJoe I think is awaiting my exhaust clip. I am pretty busy finishing up work (last day is Friday) and then I have a couple weeks until I go away to school. I am trying real hard and should by Saturday have a good exhaust clip of my Dynomax kit with the deleted res and 4 months or so of usage time on it. (the Dynomax kit is kinda quite but will get louder as time goes on. It wont be as loud as the flowmasters though.)

-Shawn

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Can I make one request on that sound clip? Can you record a good throttle blit that runs it up to about 4 grand? If you'er worried about breaking something then don't worry about it. I was just wanting to know how it sounds through the rev range.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I am going to try to get a few. I can only do 15 secs at a time (yeah, sony digital camera). I will do what you requested. I'm going to get one of a start up and little bit of rev. Im going to get one from a idle to 4-5000. and then maybe a couple other misc ones.
Soon, they will come, i promise.
-Shawn

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Sweet. Have I told you lately just how great you are? ;) (suck up brownie points :D)

·
Registered
735 Posts
so how do I put in a dual exhast flowmaster on a 95 V6? It only a single pipe out back. Do they have bolt on replacement for the V6 for duals? Or do you have to take it somewhere for them to modify or add that other muffler?

·
Registered
244 Posts
i am betting that you buy the V8 kit, and just get a hangar rubber. i imagine the stub is up there above the bumper just like on the v8 cars where the other muffler is. when i had my v6, it looked like the piping was the same routing. the dimensions may be different on the pipe diameter.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
I believe there is a catback system by flowmaster that replaces the downtubes, cats, resonator, and everything back. It's a link in the tech articles under exhaust, it'll show you a picture also.
-Thomas

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
That is not a catback then. The catback is from after the cats. I dont know of a whole kit from FLowmaster. There is only one "Kit" that gets replaces downtubes and thats the ART system. Its also a lot more then $200.

-Shawn

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Shawn40th said:
I am going to try to get a few. I can only do 15 secs at a time (yeah, sony digital camera). I will do what you requested. I'm going to get one of a start up and little bit of rev. Im going to get one from a idle to 4-5000. and then maybe a couple other misc ones.
Soon, they will come, i promise.
-Shawn
do it in drive because it will sound different under load.

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,786 Posts
RobinCali said:
so how do I put in a dual exhast flowmaster on a 95 V6? It only a single pipe out back. Do they have bolt on replacement for the V6 for duals? Or do you have to take it somewhere for them to modify or add that other muffler?
You'll need a hanger for the passenger side muffler. Unbolt and remove the exhaust system behind the resonator and then bolt up the new cat back.

Joe

·
Registered
735 Posts
catback ?

So how much are we talking for a bolt on cat back with flowmasters (i heard 120.00 earlier for the flows) and where at?

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
I'm sorry. I meant magnaflow, not flowmaster. They both have flow in them though.
http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12parts/mn12exhaust/mn12exhaust.htm
There it is. pictures and all. Looks pretty nice except for the part they flatten it to fit under the brace. I'd rather modify the brace then flatten the pipe. Oh well. There it is.
-Thomas

1 - 18 of 18 Posts