TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so a neighbor of mine with a really loud jeep wrangler told me how he did it. he took his jeep to the powerwash, stuck the spray gun up the exhaust pipe and pulled the trigger. i guess it guts them very efficiently.

but with our cars, we have 3 cats. would this gut all 3? would it gut the third then start on the other 2? how do 4.6 birds sound with gutted cats?

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
....So this guy I know said that Russian Roulette is a LOT more fun with five bullets instead of just one. Have you tried it?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol i'm guessing you're telling me it's a horrible idea.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have heard of this method for gutting mufflers packed with fiberglass, but not for cats full of metal. Well, okay, I've used it on mufflers in the past myself. Anyway, that's probably why his jeep is loud...gutted mufflers instead of cats.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he said it did his cat too. what problems would this strange idea cause?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Might be easier to pull your plugs and fill the cylinders with water. Re-install the plugs, fire her up and blow the stuff right out the back of the exhaust. LOL

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Well for this to work the cats would have to be hot and then you have the issue of getting into them and keeping them hot, then the safety issue of exploding metal.

If want to get rid of them cut off.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Might be easier to pull your plugs and fill the cylinders with water. Re-install the plugs, fire her up and blow the stuff right out the back of the exhaust. LOL
Don't forget to flush the crankcase with water while it's running.....:rolleyes:

Seriously.....why is "gutting cats" always an issue? Nothing good comes from it. Cut it off and replace it with a straight pipe if the thing is really so bothersome. Done.

......how do 4.6 birds sound with gutted cats?
Just like any other vehicle running with gutted cats......Like a bumblebee riding his bumblebee-sized lawn tractor, pissed off at the world because he's trapped inside a metal bucket with his little tractor. Times 10.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If want to get rid of them cut off.
that's another problem. davis county emissions are fairly strict so i have to keep them on. but they only do a visual inspection of the cats just to make sure they're there. and that's if you get the guy who's really anal about that.

he says that the pressure from the water should do it just fine. this guy also has this goofy little POS motorcycle that sounds like blowing bubbles in your chocolate milk. don't know if that was the intention, something he screwed up, or just what happens when it's straight piped.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
that's another problem. davis county emissions are fairly strict so i have to keep them on. but they only do a visual inspection of the cats just to make sure they're there. and that's if you get the guy who's really anal about that.
In this case, a proper sized pipe shoved through the cat will do the trick, and then it's becomes a "pipe with a fancy heatshield"....still looks stock. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol that could work but i'd still have to unbolt the pipes and put them back together. never done it but it looks like a major pain. the powerwash idea was quick and easy but i guess it has a major downside.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
When you do this can you take a video of the work and start up so that others can see how this is done?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm not gonna flush and film it. that would end up in the "morons who shouldn't have cars" section of you tube. he told me that's how he did it so i thought i'd come here and double check with people that actually know what they're talking about. hasn't gotten a warm response. and i just talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he said last time he gutted a cat he had to beat the stuff out with a hammer and chisel. certainly alot more pressure than any ol powerwash.

although, once i pull the cats out of my parts car i'll gut those, swap em, and may be powerwash just the cat to see if anything at all happens.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
i'm not gonna flush and film it. that would end up in the "morons who shouldn't have cars" section of you tube.....
YES!!! :uppoint: :rofl: I am keeping that in my sig! lol

.... and maybe powerwash just the cat to see if anything at all happens.
PETA is gonna hate that. So will your cat.

:D

·
Registered
623 Posts
Your neighbor is a moron.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
So your county only does visual?
Because unless you either get the EEC flashed or O2 jumpers you will be throwing codes.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So your county only does visual?
well they just visually check to make sure it's there. other than that i think most shops here just hook to the obd2 for the info. although i stopped by the vw dealer the other day and saw in their shop that they actually hook to the tail pipe and check the exhaust with their computer, rather than your car's.

I don't know whats dumber, your neighbor for doing this, or you for considering doing the same.
i know he's a moron. that's why i'm asking rather than just going to the wash and doing it. i've never looked inside my exhaust pipes or cats, i don't know what's in there. i was taking his strange ideas to people who know what they're doing, not hoping for responses from a flaming dbag.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts