TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of building a new exhaust system on my 94 T-bird and it has 4.6 L and Aut, which is a very common equipment. I'm building the system in 2.5" Stainless. There is a big cat which each side goes into and comes out common. Two tubes in and one tube out.

Are there three cats on the car or are the ones that sit single on each side just something that stop sparks from the engine etc. ?

My question is if I have to put in new cat when I take away the big one? I do not want to be out of the cat.

Regards

Berth

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Yes, there are three catalytic converters (and possibly a resonator).

One converter on each side after the exhaust manifolds and then the "2 in/1 out" that you describe.

You can remove the "2 in/1 out" one without any performance or CEL issues. If you remove the two primary ones, you'll throw a "catalytic converter out of tolerance" (or something like that) Check Engine Light.

But I can't address the legalities of emission changes in Sweden.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

I will see when the car goes through the control if the emission is good enough or not. If not then I will put on some universal cat. The companywhere I have bought the stainless tubes and mufflers also sell metallic cat that are approved for racing for about 275 USD each or just some universal.

Berth

1 - 3 of 3 Posts