TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning while at work, my fiancee calls me up telling me that there's something wrong with the car (our Honda). With me on the phone, she starts the car up and it sounds way loud. When she tells me this I'm thinking to myself that the spark plug issue has come up again and that I'd need to take the car back to my mechanic to have the job re-done or something. Thinking about it all day it just made me furious about my car having just spent some money getting it fixed only for it to have another or similar issue come up again. All day at work I was thinking of just getting rid of the Accord for another newer car.

Fast forward to when I get home. I start the car up, and sure enough it sounds way loud. I pop the hood up and check the exhaust manifolds and nothing. I jack up the car to see if there's a crack in the exhaust piping somewhere and I find that my car's catalytic converter had been stolen!!! After some cursing and disappointment, I calmed down enough and filed a police report and called up my insurance company.

After filing the report, my fiancee went around and found out that another one of our neighbors in the apartment complex with a 6.5gen 4cyl got hit as well. Based on what they've told us, it is most likely that our cars were hit sometime Sunday night after 11pm - Monday morning before 4am.

The apartment complex where I live at has some cameras of the parking complex, but with my bad luck, the one camera that showed both cars, mine and the other guy's car, wasn't working. Hopefully, the other cameras that were working, were able to catch enough of any strange people / activity that aren't supposed to be there during the times this happened and with that, hopefully we can catch the people that did this.

Worst part of this is that they took it with both flanges and took the o2 sensor with it!

·
Super Moderator
11,903 Posts
This came up a few years ago. See the thread below for details. Precious metals in the cat(s) are the reason why their a hot item to steal.

Sorry to see it's a problem where you live and I'm even more sorry to see it happened to you!

Hopefully ins. will cover it and the scum will be caught.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=109461

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The camera not working sounds fishy to me. Fishy? Do people still say that?
I don't think many people knew before this that the one camera wasn't working. Heck, I didn't even think any of the cameras were working! LOL. But, the cameras are in a secure room out of sight of the general public. The one camera that doesn't work simply doesn't work because the BNC connector for the coax cable wasn't properly attached and eventually fell off. It hasn't been fixed since. But now that this happened, the management re-actively fixed the camera. Too little too late for me and the other guy who got hit, but if there's a next time for anybody else, at least we'll know what happened.

This came up a few years ago. See the thread below for details. Precious metals in the cat(s) are the reason why their a hot item to steal.

Sorry to see it's a problem where you live and I'm even more sorry to see it happened to you!

Hopefully ins. will cover it and the scum will be caught.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=109461
And my favorite quote from that thread....

they tried to do this on my mustang... little did they no my "cats" were kust car covers welded over strait pipe so when the cops put there mirror under there they could see he cats... they cut one off and left it sitting there...
:D

But yea, there are two likely reasons why my cat was stolen from my Accord. The first is for its precious metals like you said. The second was to sell and put on another Accord. The latter may be a possibility because of California's strict emissions laws and somebody may not be passing their smog test so they're like, "hey, lets take it from a stock Accord!"

Anyways, my car is already lowered 1.5in, so getting in under my car isn't the easiest like it is in the truck / SUVs of the article you posted. Furthermore, seeing that it was specifically my Accord and a neighbor's Accord of the same generation (1998 - 2002) that were specifically hit, makes me believe that it was the latter of the two plausible situations as there are plenty of other people in my complex with trucks and SUVs.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
They had an order to fill.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Yea like Ron said there is precious metals in cats. Platinum, palladium and rhodium are a few. I cashed in my wife's Acura Integra cat a couple years ago and got 60 some bucks for it at the scrape yard when I had to replace it. Hope they find those scum trucks and jail em.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kinda wish I had extra money to burn right now actually. If I did, this would be the perfect time to complete the header-back system I've been wanting for a good while already for my Accord, haha.

I'd just need those DC ceramic headers and a Magnaflow high-flow CAT which would compliment the Greddy CAT-Back system I already have in place. It would easily add an extra 15 - 20 HP more over mostly stock exhaust setup. I'd just need a CAI, throttle body spacer, and the upgraded TL-S / CL-S throttle body to complete the intake / exhaust upgrades which would theoretically put my 200HP stock engine somewhere in the 230HP - 240HP range.

Only wishing though....

One of these I bet. Will cut an exhaust pipe in 30-45 seconds per cut.

What is this?

·
Registered
253 Posts
The platnum and paladeum in the Catalyst are worth money sometimes a used converter can net someone about 30-40 bucks depending on size, this guy might have just needed it for his car, if he was out to make money by stealing these the ones that look like a breadloaf pan on the Chevy and GMC trucks are worth close to 1 hundred and thats the one to get if you need money and are resorting to a crime of stealing and being caught or beat up.

Hondas are pretty low to the ground stock no fitting under one, so he had to be carrying a pipe cutter so as not to make noise a light source to see and a jack, a lot of effort for a little bit of nothing.

·
Registered
531 Posts
This is the first I have heard of converter thefts.

I think scrap theft down here has significantly dropped since the local salvage yards now require seller permits. However, the stuff tends to end up in the counties that still don't require seller permits.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What is this?
It's a chain pipe cutter.

When I worked at a scrap yard a dozen years ago, cats were the #1 stolen item.

I found a snap-on pipe cutter like the one above under a car with it's chain link busted and the pipe half cut.

The tool guy fixed it for free and I still have it.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
-narrows eyes at Steeltoed Tank-

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This was definitely done with a pipe cutter and not a sawzall. It was hard to tell on Tuesday, but yesterday when I took to the muffler shop to get the new CAT put on, the confirmed cleanliness of the cut just told the whole story. They even cut the o2 sensor like I thought.

Anyways, after everything was said and done, this has ended up being $300 out of my pocket. $250 for the replacement CAT and $50 for the o2 sensor. More money spent on something other than the T-Bird! LOL

·
Super Moderator
11,903 Posts
Wow, that sucks. Not even worth filing with your ins. because the amount of damage probably barely even matches your deductible.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea. My deductible is $500, so there was no point. When they called me up yesterday, I told them to close the claim since it was going to be less than my deductible.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts