TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Catch can or oil separator? Vented or sealed? And how do you have it setup?
What you guys prefer with a boosted set up.
4.6 intercooled vortech explorer swapped tbird.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I use one with my 5.0 engine. You can use a liquid separator for an air compressor or make your own with an old metal water bottle, some steel wool, and two hose barbs.

Are least with the older Windsor engine design, I capture a not insignificant (in terms of cleanliness) 2-3 tablespoons or so oil after a race weekend. Granted this is 14-16 hrs at 3-5.5k rpms. if you find one you like appearance wise, it won't hurt to put one on.

·
The Parts Guy
7,326 Posts
I use a separator in a CCV arrangement on my PD blown setup. With your centri, the popular route is to use a vented catch can in a OCV arrangement, as you have no place to draw ahead of the blower.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,587 Posts
I use one with my 5.0 engine. You can use a liquid separator for an air compressor or make your own with an old metal water bottle, some steel wool, and two hose barbs.

Are least with the older Windsor engine design, I capture a not insignificant (in terms of cleanliness) 2-3 tablespoons or so oil after a race weekend. Granted this is 14-16 hrs at 3-5.5k rpms. if you find one you like appearance wise, it won't hurt to put one on.
I'm interested in this. Would you care to share more details about your setup since yours is more like mine than everyone else's.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone see any reason this would be a bad idea. Running each valve cover with -8AN line to a “Y” then run -10AN to a vented catch can?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Anyone see any reason this would be a bad idea. Running each valve cover with -8AN line to a “Y” then run -10AN to a vented catch can?
It provides no active ventilation of the crankcase with vacuum, just allows the excess pressure to vent somewhere. Some cars can idle rough without a PCV with vacuum, and an engine with some wear on it will smoke out said catch can and smell like burning oil. And sometimes blow the dipstick out.

I always like to use sealed catch cans on each side to catch as much oil as possible. I have two cans made by this company. They have different sizes to match any rubber hose dia. Saikou Michi Co. Home

Al

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is -8 going to be efficient or should I make it all -10 reason I ask is my trick flow valve covers have -8 and to go to -10 I would have to run another fitting and it won’t be as clean and one more fitting for leaks and such.

·
The Parts Guy
7,326 Posts
That will work fine for your setup.

It provides no active ventilation of the crankcase with vacuum, just allows the excess pressure to vent somewhere. Some cars can idle rough without a PCV with vacuum, and an engine with some wear on it will smoke out said catch can and smell like burning oil. And sometimes blow the dipstick out.

I always like to use sealed catch cans on each side to catch as much oil as possible. I have two cans made by this company. They have different sizes to match any rubber hose dia. Saikou Michi Co. Home

Al
With a PD blower or NA setup, a CCV system is the way to go. That really isn't applicable/possible with the OP's centri arrangement though.

·
Super Moderator
10,651 Posts
BTW, I bought a cheap can on Amazon, and reworked it, rather than pay $100+.

I Disassembled, cleaned, washed the metal debris out, reworked the fittings and RTVed all the new fittings in so no leaks. :)
I think I have $30 in it, and it's nice looking, and anodized aluminum.

There's a choice of colors, and it has a sight gauge on the side, so you can see how full it is, and a thumbwheel type, o-ring sealed drain plug at the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRLVLZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a cheap piece of crap as is, so it needs lovin; just not $60 worth. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts