TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I did a rather intensive serach on the subject and no one could give me a difinitive ruling on which is the better set up. No cats with pipes or cats with pipes. Currently i am running 2.5 in stright pipes with no cats. I like the pull but I don't like smelling like my exhaust? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

House

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Get some hi-flow cats (NOT "catco"). Your exhaust will smell better, the enviroment will thank you, and you'll probably gain some low-end torque.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Dude......are you running true duals??? Why so big at 2.5"?? What mods do you have???

Well, I can't say for sure one way or the other........but I can tell you what my experience has been. When I first went to duals, I kept the cats. The best time I ran with 2.25" duals w/ cats, MARCH UD pullies, 9 mm wires, no silencer, Flowmaster mufflers, and Trans rebuild....was 15.5 1/4 mile. I then got rid of the cats with straight down tubes and added a 70mm TB.........wollah---15.2 in the 1/4 mile in 90 degree heat.

Unless you have ALOT of mods and makeing serious HP-----like over 300 HP........2.5" pipes might be alittle TOO big. Too big of pipes reduces back pressure.........which reduces lowend power and torque. If you gonna keep the 2.5" pipes.......then I'd say keep the cats. If you dump the cats..........then go 2.25" duals so you can have lowend power / torque and descent top end too.

Later.
Slowride

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slow,

I have downpipes dumping into a Y and on 2.5 into the rear split?

·
Registered
748 Posts
OK......that may not be too bad then. I thought you was running 2.5" downtubes. You're set up.....Y to single back to 2.5" slpit.......you should be ok. I would think you're making enough back pressure up front to be alright. In this case....and this is just my opinion.......I'd go catless. Little better flow and sound improvement.

Happy to hear you're dumping the Flows in the spring.......you'll be happier in the long run. What muffler replacements are you looking at???

Later.
Slowride

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slow,

I am still getting use to the acceleration. It is a bit rougher than with the cats but I can tell the difference in flow. I hit the upper speeds faster now than before the work.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
I have no problems with mine im runing gutted cat's with flowmaster exhaust and mil elminators on my 96 4.6 with 67,000 miles on the clock. oh and i went from 16.000 / 16.4 to 15.5's with this setup. If anyone know's will mac exhaust longtubes fit on my bird. There for a 96 stang but wanted to put them on mine:ztoohot:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts