TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, our cars only need a visual inspection in PA, and even that I am not worried about. I have a pair a magnaflow cats, I was going to get work done, so I mine as well have them put them in. My question is there any problems that arise when you do NOT have cats in? like backpressure issues, and O2 sensors running too lean? I am getting a lean O2 reading from the drivers side. Used to be both sides, but a ford mechanic replaced my burnt out computer, and pass. side O2. The car does not drive in limp mode all the time anymore, but still occasionally the CEL comes on after 15 min or so of driving (for drivers side running lean). I put a new BOSCH O2 sensor in the drivers side, and no fix. I have heard that it could be doing this for a number of reasons and do not know which ones to believe or rule out. Anything from lack of backpressure due to a too free-flowing exhaust (O2 sensor doesn't get hot enough)... but I ask myself, why don't BOTH O2 sensors register lean like before? (I have a supercoupe with v6 headers that have bigger collectors)... Also heard that I should have gotten a FORD O2 sensor and not the aftermarket one. Anyone hear anything about OEM O2's being calibrated correctly unlike the Bosch ones?? Ugh this is really frusterating

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well that is one thing I guess I can rule out, but it doesn't give me any other clue as to why the driver's side only is saying its running lean... anyone?

·
5,650 Posts
Cats have nothing to do with making the car run lean. Nor does backpressure. The cat is after the oxygen sensor anyway, so anything the oxygen sensor reads will be the same with or without the cat.

If you are getting a lean code, check for a vacuum leak, especially since it's an SC. A small leak can wreak havoc on those cars.

And while OEM sensors are the best, a Bosch sensor will work just fine. They aren't calibrated differently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts