TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i live in Florida so we dont have to deal with emmisions

but i was wondering if it would be better to hollow out my existing cats or cut them out and weld a different pipe in.

as far as i can find all Y or X pipes on these have been done custom and there is no bolt on pipe for this.

i have a dynomax cat back now and am planning on the kooks mid lengths over summer

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
just pick up some high flows

nominal cost to keep emissions down w/o sacrificing power

·
Registered
974 Posts
Some times hollowing out cats can make flow worse. You will probably get more sound if thats what your looking for but i doubt that would really help flow. Probably your best option is to run an actual pipe in place of the cat. As you mentioned before this will have to be a custom job, there is no bolt on off road x pipe available for these cars.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
you will need a tune or Mils for the rear 02s fyi or you will trip the check engine light

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Even if I had a pre 75 vehicle (before catalytic converters) I would add high flow cat's to it. It takes the edge out of the sound of the exhaust and gives it a cleaner smell that wont make your eye's water.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well in florida we dont have to go thruogh emisions and i dont want it loud or for it to drone...

so ill need a tune if i run pipes w/o cats even if i get holes drilled for them??

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,626 Posts
yes, you'll need a tune to shut the rears off. the only purpose of the rear 02s are to monitor catalyst efficiency, so if their getting the same readings pre cat and post cat the pcm will see a very unefficient converter and will be constantly informing you to check the engine:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont mean to sound dumb but im not good with the whole electrical part, when my dad tought me to work on cars(the little that i remember from being so young) it was all carbed so we didnt have to worry about the computers..

how or what do i need to get for a tune, is it something i could do with a superchip or more of a dyno thing??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks. and im assuming its like a programmer??

once again sorry for the ignorance

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool thanks bro

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
MIL eliminators would also help (they plug into or between the rear 02s) they run 40-60$ new. I bought a set of bbks from summit a few years ago

·
Registered
974 Posts
You guys with high flows... did you notice an increase in sound with high flow cats?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
there is a little bit of difference. without cats the exhaust is way deeper and meaner. Ive noticed that a mod motor with a cat pipe vs offroad seems to drone more with the catted pipe..well they both drone but you can call it a "more annoying tone" with the catted pipe.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I know what you mean. I'm a big fan of off road crossovers with flowmaster single chambers or bassani's. But i'm too scared of getting caught with no cats. I do live in california after all. I was hoping that the high flow cats would get some of the aggressive tone that a catless has.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i just want the performance

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
A muffler guy in Al told me there was no such thing as high flow cats...Just larger inner diameter...I didn't say I agree, just he went on to say there would be no performance enhancements.

·
Registered
974 Posts
A muffler guy in Al told me there was no such thing as high flow cats...Just larger inner diameter...I didn't say I agree, just he went on to say there would be no performance enhancements.
Hmm thats interesting. Wouldn't larger inner diameter flow more though? Therefore be a "high flow" cat?

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
ever see a spun ceramic cat by magnflow?

you can SEE through it.. don't get much better than that

1 - 20 of 25 Posts