TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone put a cb in ther 89-97 tbird?? I cant figure out where i can mount it??
I am thinkin about getting a cobra 148 GTL or Galaxy radio but there in a large chasis and wont fit in the eye glass holder.

Could i put it inside of the consule? Cooling issues kind of bother me though, any help is welcomed. I really dont think that the interior of the tbird is quite designed for such things but i must have a CB and in the future a HAM radio.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i would mount the radio in the lower part of the dash, you probally have a block off plate or a information center there. its a din sized hole so you should be ok. its been a while since i looked at a galaxy radio, is the cord mount in the front or side? also i would mount this so your not destroying any part of your dash or console.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sure the only type i could use would be a front mount mike, thanks for the advice? Do you use CB's, what type do you have? Do you have any recomendation on antenna mounting, magnets are okay but can damage paint, and i dont want to drill a whole in my car, it also has to be easily removable (store in trunk) so it wont get stollen.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Yeah I was wanting to get a CB too, but first I need to get a new job. Gotta worry about car payments before car upgrades :( but oh well. Only another year and a half left then it's all mine :D . I was thinking that if we were to get the type of radio with most of the controls/screen on the mike, then the transceiver itself could be mounted in the glovebox or under the dash somewhere and the mike cord could be run up thru the center console.

If the remote mount idea is not for you, then maybe build a bracket to mount it on the roof like in a truck. Just make it nice and secure so it doesn't go thru the windshield in the event of a collision. Also, I was thinking just put it in a DIN slot in the dash, but I have gauges in one slot and climate controls in the other. The third slot is for my radio, so now there is no in-dash space available.

As for the antenna, just get a magnet mount and put a piece of nylon fabric between the magnet and the car and it shouldn't scratch.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Don't bother with Chicken's Band ;) ... Go for Ham radio. It's not hard to get the Tech class license, and you will probably be able to talk to more people. CB is fading away, and most of what is there isn't much to talk to. The license requirement of ham radio tends to weed out the "trash".

For the radio, I have an Icom IC-2800H dual bander which works quite well in my Cougar. I don't think they make it any more. Here is the IC-2720, which would also work...

Just My .02

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea,
Ham sound allot more interesting to me, i have been reading a book called NOW YOUR TALKING, ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW TO GET YOUR TECH LICENSE. I just need the time (colege+work=NO TIME) to take the test, then i need money for the equipment. Currently i have an original cobra 148 GTL and I know that in my area plenty of people are still using CB (some DXers and pirates).

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i have used radio shack radios in the past, and use k40 antennas. if you get the lip k40 it uses 2 allens to secure it to whatever body part and the top unscrews. it has a little rubber boot to sit on the paint as well. the radio im currurently using is a classic that looks like the older cobras, its mounted on the shelf i had put in my truck. im also running a cobra power mike.the last radio i had in a car was a radio shack upper/lower side band. i had it mounted in the lower comartment on the dash , it had a side mount cord.i just had it come out from behind the dash.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I still use my 10 year old Uniden with my mag mount antenna. Works great. Set the gauge on it and in the perfect range just by putting the antenna in the middle of the trunk lid. Used since I have had the car.

Saved me many a speeding ticket.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Cougar281,
I also am an Amateur Radio operator. I do say that it is much better than chicken band. I enjoy doing contests and talking to people in other countries. My call is KB0TQD and I have an Extra class license. I got that when I was in 8th grade.
As for the mounting, CB’s should not generate a lot of heat due to their FCC puny limit of 5 watts. You should be able to mount in center counsel. For best radio performance, place mag-mount on roof of car right dab center.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
havent mounted my radio (Uniden PC-122 * found out it will fit in my eye glass compartment), but i got a plug for the cig lighter, so i can take it with me when i think ill need it. As for the anttena i ran it under the back seat to the trunk, the wire goes into the console so it dont git in my way. And i would love the red neck label, but i dont have enough wire to get to the roof so ill hav ta live witht the trunk deck. Could i put a connector with anouther 5 feet of wire? I am afraid that my radio does get a bit hot and the size wont let it fit into the console. I think it pushes 12 watts on ssb, it has a very decent range and recieve. I am constantly pickin up people from North carolina and virgina on the usb 38 (gota love skip dxing). 12 watts is much better then 4w am. Oh well thaks for the help yall.

PS: now where should i mount my linear amp, im thinkin 100 watts is beter then 12.
Now how can i add a few more altranators to my little v6.
***lol, no i realy dont plan on getting an amp, but i wish the fcc would lett me push a few more watts. I sapose if i wanted that i would have ta waste a year studying from a book and take a dang test. (i actualy would love to get my ham lic. but i dont have time)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts