TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

I was at my local junkyard yesterday to pick up a CCRM for my 94 3.8 Cougie. I found one from a 94, and I also found one from a 97 (both 3.8). The one from the 94 looks to be original, but the one from the 97 is a Ford rebuilt unit dated 2003. I notice that the part numbers are different, but I was wondering if there is any difference in the two years. I would like to use the later unit, but if it won't interchange I don't want to hurt anything else on the car.

Your assistance, as always is greatly appreciated.

Ron

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the constant control relay module. It controls the cooling fan and some other stuff. Mine does not turn on the cooling fan normally, and the sensor checks out. Currently I have disconnected the AC compressor and I use the AC controller to keep the engine from melting itself down.

The CCRM is located just in front of the air filter housing and behind the right side headlight.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
OH in the case. I think the numbers do have to match. If it's cheap, try it. Some things do and don't. It's hard to say.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It's been a few years since messing with those.. I think they make 3 different ones- 2 different ones for sure. The difference is the color of the connector and the internal wiring.

O'Reilly had a generic version on display in the Help section for around $30.00.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Ford parts catalogue shows the same p.n. for 3.8 NA, and 4.6L, for 94 - 97 T-Bird / Cougar. Number will start with F4Z or F6S.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I don't know about a tbird ccrm- they may all be the same.

Tried swapping one from a Taurus to a Tempo once for testing purposes and it didn't work. The guy at the dealer was familiar with them and asked what color the connector was. I assume it's like Duraspark modules where if the connector is the same color it will work.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I guess I will give them a shot later this week. I might have a spare available soon if someone is looking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To answer your question, yes they are interchangeable.

The CCRM provides power to the fuel pump, cooling fan, A/C clutch and PCM in case anyone was wondering specifically what it does.
My ccrm part is RCM13S was manufactured in Mexico. My car didn’t start with that one but I replaced it with a different part number ccrm and it started and ran. I can’t find the RCM13S part anywhere so are they really interchangeable?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts