TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new bird from someone right here on TCCoA. The check engine light is on which was expected since he told me it was throwing a P0174 code. Anyway, I've been trying to get it scanned for myself and to see what else may be popping up. I've been to Autozone and an Advanced Auto and neither of them can get the scanner to even power up when connected to the port. I've checked for shorts in the electrical within the immediate area and everything seems fine. Past that, I don't know what to do. Suggestions? I really want to see what else it may be throwing (if anything else).

·
Registered
903 Posts
Check the fuse for the cig lighter. That should be the same one for the DLC power. With not getting power to the scanner, thats what I would say it is. Another quick check since I dont know which fuse it is, does the cig lighter/phone charger work?

Brandon

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Just a FYI my fuse for the cig is blown, and the OBD tool still works . on my bird the cig & Flash to pass is on the same fuse the OBD has its own 10a

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to the seller, he had it scanned not too long before he sold it to me and they had no problem making the connection. Autozone tried 3 different scanners and nothing...just my luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Check fuse under dash. Look for OBDII DLC fuse. Its a 10amp fuse. If the fuse is blown, the connector will not have power

Mark

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuse is good...

·
Banned
377 Posts
the problem may not be in the port/connector....it may be in the eec itself.

just for the hell of it id remove your neg. battery cable for 15/20 min (with your ignition to the on position)....simply re-setting the eec may solve that problem....its a long shot, but id try it.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Really hate to revive this old thread, but better than a new one. Besides I searched and searched, and found this. I'm having this exact problem right now. I have failed smog 2x, 2 different businesses. Same issue, they fail me due to no MIL light. The light itself works, I recently had the P1443. Changed all the parts, light turned off. Fuses are not blown and none missing. Now, let me add that when I hook up my scanner, I get nothing. But if I wiggle it around, it powers up. Wires look good, now, are they failing me because I myself have failed to mention that you kinda have to wiggle the scanner port?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
pull the ecc fuse under the hood, try to start the car to reset the computer (won't start), then reinsert the fuse and start the car.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
But if I wiggle it around, it powers up. Wires look good, now, are they failing me because I myself have failed to mention that you kinda have to wiggle the scanner port?
Connector terminals can only handle so much Connecting/disconnecting before they become too open (Female connectors mostly, which i think the OBD port is?)

I'm certain you can get a replacement plug itself,
if not remove the terminals and close them up abit, which you may also be able to do with the terminals still in the plug still??

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Connector terminals can only handle so much Connecting/disconnecting before they become too open (Female connectors mostly, which i think the OBD port is?)

I'm certain you can get a replacement plug itself,
if not remove the terminals and close them up abit, which you may also be able to do with the terminals still in the plug still?
:zwthstpd:

In my experiences working with computer connections, loose female ports have more than once been the culprit. The fact that you have to jiggle the connection screams out at me.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
off to the General Tech Forum we go!.....lol

sorry bro, just 'cause it says "4.6 & 5.4" doesnt mean that you can post any little thing just because your car came equipped with a 4.6, or may have swapped in a 5.4.....its an Engine Tech forum :)

been seeing a lot of this lately, so someones gotta say something....good luck with your issue :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts