TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, Monday I'm taking my car in for exhaust. I need answers quick so I posted in here. (sorry). Well, I have a 97 4.6L.
The TCCOA Tech Articles say removing the 1st and 2nd cats will cause the CEL to go on, and then the car to enter Safe Mode. I'm NOT worried about the CEL, but will the car really go into safe mode? I live in Michigan, so I can remove all 3 cats and not worry about inspections. What kind of sound does removing the cats give?

Also, what about a resonater? Should I have it removed?

If the shop I get it done at only does compression bent, should I go for 2.5", but 2.25" for Mandrel bent?

-Brian

H or X Pipe? What gives a louder sound?

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
ThunderBeast86 said:
Alright, Monday I'm taking my car in for exhaust. I need answers quick so I posted in here. (sorry). Well, I have a 97 4.6L.
The TCCOA Tech Articles say removing the 1st and 2nd cats will cause the CEL to go on, and then the car to enter Safe Mode. I'm NOT worried about the CEL, but will the car really go into safe mode? I live in Michigan, so I can remove all 3 cats and not worry about inspections. What kind of sound does removing the cats give?

Also, what about a resonater? Should I have it removed?

If the shop I get it done at only does compression bent, should I go for 2.5", but 2.25" for Mandrel bent?

-Brian
H or X Pipe? What gives a louder sound?
Yes... when the check engine light comes on for a period of time, it slips into "limp home mode" and yes.. it will run like crap.. the downstream o2s will detect no change in the a/f ratio as it passes through where the cats used to be, so it will tell you the cats "aren't working properly"...

if michigan has emissions testing, i wouldn't remove the first 2.. if they have visual, you might risk takin off the 3rd.. kind of sound? hard to describe.. uh.. louder..

resonator? does not exist on a 97 tbird w/ the V8.. so no worries there.. we have the factory 2 - 1 - 2 setup

go 2.25" compression bent.. that should be more than adequate unless you are running serious horsepower (blower, etc)

and in theory, an H-pipe is louder... supposedly... my Tru-x core setup is a bit quieter than my h-pipe setup is some ranges.. but it roars like hell at high rpm

i'm running custom downtubes w/ high-flo cats, into a single magnaflow 14385, out to 2 24" stainless steel tips..

·
6,253 Posts
ya, ok, true.. but he doesn't have one.. so the point is moot.. the resonator is mostly a V6 thing.. although some v8s had them i believe.. just not in 97 for sure

:D

·
6,253 Posts
no no no.. thats the air intake SILENCER....

resonator is a round tube welded after the 3rd cat on the exhaust, usually on a V6, to prevent it from sounding raspy and like @$$

my dad's windstar has a huge square resonator welded on to help quiet it down...

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
jamesD said:
ya, ok, true.. but he doesn't have one.. so the point is moot.. the resonator is mostly a V6 thing.. although some v8s had them i believe.. just not in 97 for sure

:D
94-95 V8s had exhaust resonators and 96-97 V8s had no exhaust resonator

they all have intake silencers yes

the ford resonators that were on the 94-95 cars were setup almost like straight threw mufflers, they dont restrict tha tmuch, minus the fact it goes down into 2" pipe at the resonator, cut mufflers with the resonator in tact doesnt sound half bad on a 94-95 V8 bird IMO

for exhaust work, if michagan has no emessions cut all the cats, if you can find a shop willing to risk 15k in fines on it, it will sound louder, the exhaust will also have a bit more metal sound, as it will have less of a muffler that are the honeycombed cats, so a catless setup can sound more tin'y then one with cats, it may be a hair louder though

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
the cel on also makes the car slower with the limp home mode thing, kills your mpg for sure, you can do one of two things to get rid of it

A. MIL elimnators, come in the form of rear o2s, or a splice that you can put on your rear o2 wires, all it does is loop the rear o2s to show a signal from them to turn the check engine light off, so the car still thinks you have cats

B. Chip of some kind, lets just use SCT as an example, you get a tune for your car, you go out and buy a better maf with your car, you get raised shift points, better power throught the whole curve, when you send out the information on what kind of tuen you want, you want to have your rear o2s turned off, the piggyback tune then turns them off threw the computer, CEL goes off

1 - 9 of 9 Posts