TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 94 cougar 4.6L and the CEL is on. i did a search and couldn't find my answer, is there any way of pulling codes using the CEL. and if there is how do you do it?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Not with a 94, you need to have a code reader. Autozone and other autoparts stores do them around here, you might need to lie and say it is a 96 so they will go and do it, and get the actual code and post it here, not what they decipher it as. No offense, but I have seen them really get people on the wrong trail, unless it is very obvious.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm gonna go get a obd II code reader soon. but how come a obd II code reader would work on a 94? thanks

·
The Parts Guy
7,311 Posts
d60 said:
i'm gonna go get a obd II code reader soon. but how come a obd II code reader would work on a 94? thanks
Because your 94 4.6L uses an early version of OBD II.

-Rod

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i went and got a obd II code reader from walmart it's a innova 0303 but it wont pull any codes it just has err1 but it works on my brother's gtp. what could be some reason why it won't work on my car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
all pre '96 cars have OBD1. You can jumpwire the ECC (ECC self test) under the hood. There are two gaps on the top, jumpwire them with a paperclip. Start with the key-on / engine off method first.

The CEL will light up, giving a number in flashes, i guess you will get 3 numbered codes.

for example, if you have a code # 233 the CEL will flash as following:

ON-ON <pause> ON-ON-ON <pause> ON-ON-ON

Write these numbers down and look'um up in tech article http://www.tccoa.com/articles/misc/EEC4.html

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
DutchSCFan76 said:
all pre '96 cars have OBD1. You can jumpwire the ECC (ECC self test) under the hood. There are two gaps on the top, jumpwire them with a paperclip. Start with the key-on / engine off method first.

The CEL will light up, giving a number in flashes, i guess you will get 3 numbered codes.

Write these numbers down and look'um up in tech article http://www.tccoa.com/articles/misc/EEC4.html
NO, no, no..... The 94/95 (4.6L) MN12 uses a preliminary version of OBD-II, and the codes are read from the data connector located under the glove box. It is not a full version of OBD-II, but it is very close and most of the codes look up ok.

Unless Canada/Foreign cars are different than US cars... :thumbsup:

As to why it won’t scan, I would suspect a wiring issue or computer issue. But without more information, it’s hard to say.

·
The Parts Guy
7,311 Posts
DutchSCFan76 said:
all pre '96 cars have OBD1.
As everyone here has already stated, that is not true. 94-95 4.6L MN12's have an early version of OBD II. There is no EEC test port under the hood, and the paperclip method or OBD I scanner will not work. You have to hook up a OBD II scanner under the passenger side dash to get the codes.

-Rod

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
DutchSCFan76 said:

Donald is right. 94/95 4.6L birds have OBD2 with external EDIS ;)

BTW, I was just in Arnhem over a month ago. That ice cream shop next to the big cathedral overlooking the river has the best Tiramisu ice cream.:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
on my door jam there is a sticker that says the PCM was reprogrammed in sept. 95. could this be the reason i can't pull codes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts