TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm on the verge of buying a brand 馃啎 speedometer instrument cluster trim. It has the cell phone option on it though. It's not a problem but I wanted to know what those particular buttons are called and also what are you all experience with that option in the car?

Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
Did 97s even have a cell phone option or was that nixed? I've only ever seen photos of the 94-96 style clusters with the cell phone buttons. If so it must be the rarest MN12 part on the planet short of the AWD drivetrain, lol.

I put my fog lamp switch in the location of the cell phone buttons since there really wasn't any other "good factory-like" option I could think of when I did that 12 years ago. They are just the cell phone buttons.

The analog cell phones found on these cars won't work anywhere anymore so they are useless. It ran through the radio head unit and some additional cell phone hardware that would have gone under the package tray with the supporting additional wiring in the vehicle harness.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Did 97s even have a cell phone option or was that nixed? I've only ever seen photos of the 94-96 style clusters with the cell phone buttons. If so it must be the rarest MN12 part on the planet short of the AWD drivetrain, lol.

I put my fog lamp switch in the location of the cell phone buttons since there really wasn't any other "good factory-like" option I could think of when I did that 12 years ago. They are just the cell phone buttons.

The analog cell phones found on these cars won't work anywhere anymore so they are useless. It ran through the radio head unit and some additional cell phone hardware that would have gone under the package tray with the supporting additional wiring in the vehicle harness.
Well I'm a hell of a researcher and came across the cell phone option cluster trim from New England parts store when 99 percent of online store have the dreaded "discontinued" classification next to almost everything MN12 lawl... Conspiracy.. lol.. I got a couple of leads for the finishing trim with good screw attachments in the back so that's a plus a well. I figured I buy all these rare plastic trim parts before I get my stage one mechanical parts.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5

Maybe I can use toggle switches in it's place if I can't find those buttons.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I鈥檓 almost certain the phone option wasn鈥檛 an option in 97, make sure you see what the bezel looks like before you buy
F4SZ63044D70E looks like it did. On the ford parts site it always show two options. With and w/o... Maybe the website just included the years that it came with the button opening.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
F4SZ denotes a 1994 part, if the bezel were for a 97 it would be F7SZ, indeed most suppliers have year ranges pertaining to these off
Uh oh.... Lol newb mistake... I ordered already but a couple mins before I made that comment. I immediately asked for a refund/ return before the item was shipped or taken off inventory.

Registered
1994 XR7 , 46 most every option. 66.000 miles. rustfree, from washington state.
my first 94 came with every option incl phone, cd changer, and block heater. he sold it to me before
the warranty ran out in the fall of 96 and ordered an every option 30th, which got totalled the next winter. said he never
even took the phone out of the box! i did, just to see it. just displayed it at cougar meets.

the 95 brochure does not list the hands free cell phone option.

Reactions: Muscle&Thunder

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Made a costly mistake but got my money refunded.. ended up finding the 1997 year instrument cluster part number ordered.

Registered
96 TBird, PI cams, FRRP intake, Magnaflo exhaust, added weight (stereo)
Never knew that option existed. Learn something new everyday!

Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
Made a costly mistake but got my money refunded.. ended up finding the 1997 year instrument cluster part number ordered.
Where, how much? Mine is cracked (ironically around the hole I made for the fog light switch in the factory cell phone button location, had it had them) and if I can get one at a reasonable price, it would be ... nice....

The Parts Guy
Where, how much? Mine is cracked (ironically around the hole I made for the fog light switch in the factory cell phone button location, had it had them) and if I can get one at a reasonable price, it would be ... nice....
Yeah, where are we sourcing NOS units from?

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
My head was borderline pounding to make sure I got my money back for a 96 cluster bezel and finding 97 at the same time but I did it lol. It's a directory of sorts. You put a request in and they will find you to sell their parts. Be careful though it's a mix between price gouging and ppl who don't really know their products so keep watch of their intent...
is this the same place as the scam?
No. It was a Ford's part store for the cell phone option. That is for the 96 cluster bezel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts