TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the Thunderbird logo center caps used on the standard 15-wheels the same size as the ones used on the SC 16-inch wheels? I'd like to get the sport wheels sometime and I see them all the time on ebay but never with the center caps. Would the ones I already have on my 15's fit? They look identical, but I wasn't sure if there is a size difference.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have the center caps from my old 15'' fanblades on a set of 96-97 sport wheels. They fit perfect, I just use care in removing them to avoid scratching/gouging the wheel. There is no recess on a sport wheel like on an sc wheel to aid in removal of the solid cap.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent, that's just what I wanted to hear! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
The center caps are the same size between the 15" wheels, and the later 16" SC/sport wheels. However the 89-92 SC wheels use a different size center cap that is not interchangable with any other wheels.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The center caps are the same size between the 15" wheels, and the later 16" SC/sport wheels. However the 89-92 SC wheels use a different size center cap that is not interchangable with any other wheels.
Oh.. well crap. How do I tell the difference between the pre-92 and post-92 if I'm looking at wheels? Or do the earlier ones look different?

EDIT:
After looking at a few of the wheels, I can see there is a difference between the pre- and post-92 SC/Sport wheels. That should make it easier. Now the hard part, as far as I can tell, is actually finding correct-sized tires. Not a lot of choices out there for the 16-inch sizes.

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Oh.. well crap. How do I tell the difference between the pre-92 and post-92 if I'm looking at wheels? Or do the earlier ones look different?

EDIT:
After looking at a few of the wheels, I can see there is a difference between the pre- and post-92 SC/Sport wheels. That should make it easier. Now the hard part, as far as I can tell, is actually finding correct-sized tires. Not a lot of choices out there for the 16-inch sizes.
Here you go, you have 88 choices. :wavey:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?width=225/&ratio=60&diameter=16&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&x=67&y=10&RunFlat=All

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha, thanks. I don't know what I was looking at before but I didn't see nearly that many. I was hoping to find more variety in wider-than-stock sizes, too. I guess that's where the trouble starts. ;)

Too bad my 275/60/15's from my Elite won't work for the Thunderbird! :p

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Haha, thanks. I don't know what I was looking at before but I didn't see nearly that many. I was hoping to find more variety in wider-than-stock sizes, too. I guess that's where the trouble starts. ;)

Too bad my 275/60/15's from my Elite won't work for the Thunderbird! :p
Haha. Those miiiight be a little off.

On a serious note, I just bought new tires in the stock size. I don't need winter capabilities since I have 15" snows already, and I wanted something with decent ride and treadlife as well as good handling. (Mostly looked in the Grand Touring class.) I went with Michelin Primacy MXV4s, and so far, they are great. Really smooth and quiet, but have a good handling feel. They are a little expensive (like $130 each), but there is a $60 rebate on a set of four (at least when I bought them).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts