TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
besides functioning with the outer incandesant lights, are there any designs you would like to see?

something like knight rider?
alternitive flashes for turns?
?
?
?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
i'd just like it hooked up with the corner lights so they function with the blinkers and brakes..

i'm sure some people will say they'd like the LED's to pan from inner to outer with the blinkers.. which for a car show would be pretty sweet.. but i wouldn't want it for daily driving.. perhaps a toggle switch for that option?

and i'll be taking apart the assembly this weekend, green and will get it shipped out to you this week.

·
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd be using DIP switches for control of the functions, and "locking" of the brightness calibrations.

·
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds good...

oh, and more info for those trying to think of lighting ideas...
the control of the brightness can be modified other than the knobs, so if you've got an idea with the led gradually getting brighter of dimmer...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd like em to function with the outer markers as said in other posts but I was interested in the progressive turn signals (like the old cougars and such) as well... something like progressive when hazards or turn signals are on but solid when brakes are applied.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Well, since what you have is 4 sets of 5 lights, you have 4 flash option without rewiring the circuit board completely. What I've thought about would be probably 60% brightness with all the sections on for normal driving/parking lights. Then the turn signals would cascade like this:

O---O---O---O---O---
-O---O---O---O---O--
--O---O---O---O---O-
---O---O---O---O---O

That's the right side obviously. The left would go opposite. I'd also like to see a Knight Rider style effect that would oscillate from the 1 to the 4 and back. That could be used at shows or what have you. The show/turn would be at 100% brightness of course.

O---O---O---O---O---
-O---O---O---O---O--
--O---O---O---O---O-
---O---O---O---O---O
--O---O---O---O---O-
-O---O---O---O---O--
O---O---O---O---O---

Anyway, that's my ideas.

·
Registered
58 Posts
is there any way to amplify brightness to match the side tail lights?

sir william- in your example are they moving as a group top to bottom and moving from left to right? (using the passenger side turn signal as an example)

also would we need to figure in syncing it up with the outer turn signal?

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
If you are going to rewire them a sequential would be awesome so we can go old school T-Bird.

(DDD)DDDDDDDDDDBBBBBBBBBB
(DDD)BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
(BBB)BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

If not, alternating with brightening would be good too

(DDD)BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
(BBB)DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got to thinking maybe there's a way to retro fit two bulbs into the center housings using the LED Bulbs you can get now to replace your turn/brake tail lamps and getting a sequencer kit and wiring it up from

http://www.webelectricproducts.com/sts/stsdetails.htm

using these bulbs which I believe are the same as the stock bulb replacement.

Only thing would be getting them in the housings and wiring it up to the turn signals. and the center panels would be much brighter than stock... I would think at least.

·
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rookie94sc said:
is there any way to amplify brightness to match the side tail lights?
also would we need to figure in syncing it up with the outer turn signal?
The LEDs would be brighter if put to 100%. The brightness will be controlled with two knobs, one for brightness when the lights are half-lit like how the outers are with the headlights on, and no brake. Another knob will control the brightness when the brake is applied. Once you get the brightness for each set to match the outers with the knobs, you will flip a DIP switch to "lock" their value in, so that vibrations and bumps don't change the brightness.

syncing the lights should not be a problem. I REALLY don't want a third knob for this, and will work it out based on my car, then send afew people prototypes to make sure.

SW, was that an idea for re-using the stock board, or a specific design you wanted? It wouldn't be too hard, as I could use the same logic functions for that and what Keith's pic shows, just your board would be wiried differently. however, it would no longer be able to do what keith's pic shows.

VicRattlehead said:
I gotta have 2 birds that do this...
That is definately a pattern I'll be using. It seems we have two similar functions, one that does exactly that, and one that only has one section lit at a time.... and yes I could have them all on at "parking light" steady and come on brighter for turns.

·
11,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:uppoint: keep in mind this is a school project, and I won't be done and ready to market it until April at the earliest. I'm not even sure how many I'll be able to make....

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
GreenBird said:
:uppoint: keep in mind this is a school project, and I won't be done and ready to market it until April at the earliest. I'm not even sure how many I'll be able to make....
So just get the schematics and use parts that are availiable to a home electrician... and sell those.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
rookie94sc said:
using these bulbs which I believe are the same as the stock bulb replacement.

Only thing would be getting them in the housings and wiring it up to the turn signals. and the center panels would be much brighter than stock... I would think at least.
A) Ours are a waffle style mount not a twist spade. Though if you are making them from scratch you could use either or.

B) The assemblies are not that deep and the light comes in from the bottom.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The rear tail lamps are the blade style? that works I can just get those ones...

I was thinking more up towards the top where it rounds out at the top in the middle of the try and get them in line with the tail lamp bulbs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts