TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone running these wheels .... any pictures on a Bird or Cat?

I was looking through wheel offerings for MN12s and came across some offerings in Centerline's catalog. Anyone running these wheels on a TBird or Cougar?
Look at #5755 542 It is 15" dia. x7.5" wide and it has 5" backspacing.

Link to page.

As you can see, other sizes up to 15x9" are available, but all seem to be offset outwards too much. I measured one of the two 16x7" 7 spoke Cougar wheels I have, and from the rear face of the mounting surface to the back edge is 5-9/16". 1/2" of that is wheel lip (7" inside lip, 8" outside lip, devide by two = 1/2" each lip). That means the stock offset of those 16x7s is 5-1/16". It also means these 7.5" wide Centerlines add roughly 1/2" of wheel width outwards only.

There is also a 15" dia x 8.5" wide wheel # 5855 542 with the same 5" back spacing in this pattern, it would have 1.5" extra rim width outwards (for a centerline offset of 0.75" outwards, or 19mm farther outwards).

Tires would probably be 235 or 245/60-15 front, maybe a size or two larger out back, maybe 245/60-15 all the way around. Tires are easy.

Anyone running these wheels .... any pictures on a Bird or Cat?

I might just find two more 16x7" 7 spoke Cat wheels and refinish them if I could just come up with some center caps that diidn't have a Cat head on them! I am not so crazy about these 15x6.5 stock wheels that are on it now. The car just needs something to make it "pop" at you.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
CrystalPistol said:
The car just needs something to make it "pop" at you.
I'll tell ya right now, it isnt 15's that'll make it pop. Try 18's plus.

-Joel

·
Registered
70 Posts
I love the heavy chrome look of these wheels, and being a fan of classic muscle car I was never into the 16+" tall rims. I think they're ugly for the most part. Good set of 15's and a fat set of meats anyday.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Agree to disagree. :D

-Joel

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
wait i was wrong thinking about it, i have a 5inch bs, so you shouldn't stick out or have rub issues as long as you add a pair of 70 dollar air bag helper springs

·
Registered
70 Posts
why would I need the spring helpers for 15x8 centerline telstars? I wouldn't think the wider tires will rub the inside of the fenders since guys on here are running 17x9 or whatever cobra Rs and not having trouble. I'm not good with this crap so you know.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
u won't rub on the inside, there's just the possible of the quarter lip coming down on the tread if you have a full car and hit a pump

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
with the 17 and larger rims they are able to throw more rim to the insdie because they can clear the top of the knuckle, no luck with a 15

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
crystalpistol, i have a sugestion, if you are going to refinsh the 7 spokes, why not just fill in the cat heads and paint them? you could get wheel stickers from one fo the speed shops i am sure with the ford logo or find some 92-5 fan blade caps that still have the bird in them and attach them to these .

btw i have the 7 spokes on my car and for lack of better styling and maintence they will stay, other than the drag tires and snows

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jk89cat said:
crystalpistol, i have a sugestion, if you are going to refinsh the 7 spokes, why not just fill in the cat heads and paint them? you could get wheel stickers from one fo the speed shops i am sure with the ford logo or find some 92-5 fan blade caps that still have the bird in them and attach them to these .

btw i have the 7 spokes on my car and for lack of better styling and maintence they will stay, other than the drag tires and snows
I actually really like the 7 spoke wheels, I have two now and I should be able to find two more, and I don't mind cleaning them and repainting with wheel paint and clear coat, probably a silver metalic like the factory finish on my '01 Mercury GM's 16x7 Lacey Spokes.

Have you any pics of your bird with these wheels?

The problem was the centers, that cat's head is big on these centers. The centers are smaller than all the TBird centers I've seen (My '85 centers have the black and blue Ford stick on center over the Cat that was on those wheels when I cleaned and polished them, but the head was smaller on them so it looks great and the circle just gave me a guide to center the stickers).

I think the Centerlines would look great too, sort of like the wheels they used to run in Nascar back before they outlawed chrome on them ... but they are gonna cost some too. I was mostly curious, I think the wheels in 15x7.5 that I detailed would work like a champ on a MN12. I also like the Firehawk Indy 500 tires and wheels on coggonobrien's car, maybe 1-2" lower.

18s are fine for those who like them, they do look OK, but I favor 15 ... and 16s still. I know that larger rim diameters mean less tire sidewall and while response is good, there is an increased risk to the rim and suspension from pot holes and such .... and I like seeing some tire.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
If you can find 15x8 with 6 inch BS, they fit perfect.

275/50/15 MT Drag Radials

1 - 20 of 24 Posts