TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the high and low speed cfm rating of a stock 4.6L MN12 cooling fan?

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
I can't find exact specs on high and low cfm. But someone wrote the range is 2400-2800.

If you know the Amps they draw at each speed, the SPAL fan rates 90 to 110 cfm per amp.
AMPs X 90 = CFM
(AMPs x 110 = CFM)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Not sure why you asked, but most aftermarket ones can't compare to the OE. I tried a dual fan setup that supposedly pulled 2500 and it overheated any time I used the AC in weather above 60 deg.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's for my truck. I'm running a pair of 14" fans that pull 2950 cfm each. During the summer (90 deg and higher) it runs hot while cruising. Pull off to the side, and the fans pull it right down, so obviously the fans aren't an issue.... But I'll have a spare 4.6L fan/shroud available soon and if it was more than the 5900 cfm, I would just use it.

But it looks like the Mark VIII one (4000 to 5000 cfm) isn't even equal to what I'm running. So I guess I'll have to break down and buy an aluminum 2 core radiator to replace the Continental 3 core copper radiator I'm using. :bawling:

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
789 Posts
The big thing to look at is full coverage of the radiator. You want your fan/shroud to cover the whole thing. if say 15% isn't covered, you'll lose a lot of cooling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts