TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know nothing in the world is simple but what I was wondering is if anyone has replaced a 3.8 with a 4.2 and what kind of problems you ran into. :eek:

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
a few people have done the swap on the mn12, quite a few have done it in Mustangs. It's nearly a direct bolt-in depending on how you decide to do it.
-Thomas

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
You can also talk to Litning or look for his thread, he's presently doing the swap too

·
Registered
101 Posts
what i would like to know is...if ur going thru the trouble of pulling the engine why go back with a 6 banger why not 4.6 or better yet 302??? ................just courious

·
8,978 Posts
because the 4.2 is a direct bolt-in and has near the same power as a 302 and 281. And a lot less hassle is involved. V8's arent the end-all be-all Ford engine choice. v6's have better handling (less front end weight). Thats one of the things I like about them, among many others.
-Thomas

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
But Thomas who cares about handling the 1/4 is all there is. (I hate that my wedding and the Petite Le Mans are the same day *grumble*)

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
Litning said:
a better handling car will always outperform a car that handles worth sh1t
:zwthstpd: true that.

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
3.8gearhead said:
what i would like to know is...if ur going thru the trouble of pulling the engine why go back with a 6 banger why not 4.6 or better yet 302??? ................just courious
i've said it before, and i'll say it again, you get alot more kudos when you got a six that can smoke an eight,

and also, the "tear out the six and slap in an eight" has been done to the death already,

when i race against an eight it doesn't hurt as much when i loose, but i can garauntee that if i beat that eight with my six, that other guy will be cheesed to the max and be wondering WTF? lol.

·
8,978 Posts
bowez said:
But Thomas who cares about handling the 1/4 is all there is. (I hate that my wedding and the Petite Le Mans are the same day *grumble*)
If the 1/4 is all there is then swap your IRS for a solid axle, why bother with handling if all you do is go straight.

I'm for a max performance car. 1/4 tells the power of the car, but IMO there are a lot more variables to a performance car other than the straight line performance.

-Thomas

·
Registered
101 Posts
ok so you guys answered my question , and yes chorizon i see ur point if you lose to an eight you have an excuse but if you beat an eight you can make the other guy,or girl, feel like a real dipstick. i was wondering this question because i have to rebulid or replace the 3.8 got seroice rod knock and im thinking of possibly stroking to a 4.2 if it can be done. i poasted a thread but i havnt gotten but 1 responce maby u guys can tell me what all i can use off a 4.2 to go in my 3.8, of if it is easier to just swap to a 4.2.?.

·
Administrator
8,210 Posts
3.8gearhead said:
ok maby u guys can tell me what all i can use off a 4.2 to go in my 3.8, of if it is easier to just swap to a 4.2.?.
If you want, you can use the 4.2 short block and go with the single port heads and intakes. You'll lose the benefit of the split port heads though. Just a thought.

Joe

·
8,978 Posts
you'll need to modify the driver side bracket to bolt your tensioner pulley in place of the idler pulley that sits there now. I believe my belt is 56 5/8" long. a k060567 maybe? You'll just need a wrap a measuring tape around your pulleys and measure it, then take off about 1/2"
-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
it would probably be easier and cheaper just to find a 4.2 shortblock and toss it in, rather than pay to have all the machine work done, get the new stroked shortblock balanced, etc.

If you're looking for info on 4.2 swaps just ask the guys at www.v6power.net or look at the swap article PJ made (by the way where is he? havent seen him in a while). You'll need an 01+ v6 stang oil pan, 4.2 or 01+ 3.8 harmonic balancer and flexplate, and solid motor mounts to make sure the oil pan doesnt rub on the k-member.

-Thomas

1 - 17 of 17 Posts