TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just changed my radiator and thought I did everything right-- all my connections are tight and I burped the system and added distilled water with about 25% coolant to the system. I also did a custom always-on-high fan modification.

But anyway, here's the deal.

I start to run the car, and it's fine. Temp is OK, no water leaking. But then I check under the car and hot damn, I've got a puddle of red goo under the car!

First I'm like, oh no, I didn't tighten the ATF lines enough. I checked the lines, found that they were totally dry and tight, and that I was losing power steering fluid from the driver's side corner of the front bumper up under the fenderwell cover. I suppose it's possible I knocked something loose there but I can't tell what it is.

What is up there that'd be causing me to lose PS fluid like crazy?
Is there a PS cooler or something I could've knocked the connection loose to? The only line I had to push a little bit to one side or the other is a line that runs below the lower radiator hose inlet on the rad. Where does that go to and what should I be looking for? Thus far I can't really see anything.

Can I just drive without P/S? Or will the pump burn itself up or something?? Can i disable it somehow?

I could really use some help.

Thanks,
Ghost

·
Registered
262 Posts
Can I just drive without P/S? Or will the pump burn itself up or something?? Can i disable it somehow?
The pump will self-destruct. The only way is to get a shorter belt and by-pass it, but if you do any slow speed city driving, it'll be really hard to make right hand turns. My smog pump seized up on the freeway and threw the belt. Cold day... removed the belt and started driving. No problem. Got to the next exit and tried to make a right hand turn at the end of the ramp and almost didn't. On the freeway, there wasn't much difference, if any at all-I've got the variable assist option.

Are you certain that it's from the power steering? Is the PS reservoir low or empty?

Can't help you much with the leak; on my '93, nothing for the PS gets that far forward. 'Bout all I can suggest is start at the pump and follow each line down to the steering rack. The high pressure hose should come out of either the side of or rear of the pump with a threaded fitting. The return line should come out of the bottom of the pump. Check to make sure the return line is tight... it may have gotten knocked loose. Mine is just a piece of rubber hose with an airplane clamp. It's been replaced, but that's how it came from the factory.

Best of Luck!
That is all...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
you should have a PS cooler just in front of the radiator inside the front bumper cover, you might have knocked a line loose there.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
you should have a PS cooler just in front of the radiator inside the front bumper cover, you might have knocked a line loose there.
Yeah if you put enough pressure on these lines to get them out of the way that would do it.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Here is a pic of where the PS cooler is. Disregard the notes. My trans. cooler is in the way a bit, but if you look above it, you can see the smaller cooler and the 2 lines coming off of it. These run to and from your PS pump. Check these connections.

Jay

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
What he said it should be easy to see .

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Are you sure it is power steering fluid and not ATF? Could have bumped a line off the trans cooler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.