TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo I was changing out my differential the other day and like an idiot, I somehow punctured the damn boot on my passenger side halfshaft.

I can't really tell what it will take to get the halfshaft out of the rear disc brake or what is necessary to change out the rear rotors because I haven't done it previously.

What am I going to need to replace my halfshaft? I've got a new one on the way (hopefully)...

am I going to need anything ridiculous to change it or will regular hand tools and a breaker bar do? My largest socket is a 1", and I vaguely recall there being a really big nut on the end there.

Thanks,
Ghost

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I change the rear brake rotors without undoing that nut?

Thanks for the size btw, I will see if I can't visit a friend who has higher powered impact tools.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Don't forget to buy the new axle nuts. They are not reusable.

And IIRC they torque back on with something like 200 lbs or more of torque. Most 1/2 drive torque wrenches won't go that high.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
All you need to break the Halfshaft nut free is the following:

36mm Socket
Long Breaker bar

To break the nut free do the following:

1. Put the socket on the nut such that the breaker bar is close to horizontal
2. Stand on the breaker bar.
3. Grab onto the fenderwell of the car with your hands.
4. Use both your feet and arm strength to push the bar/ pull on the fenderwell.

This will get the nut to break free. I've done it MANY times. This way you don't need to spend $$$ for a high powered impact if you don't have one.

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
If I remember right from when tbirdbrain and I replaced my rear bearings and knuckle bushings, the halfshaft nut was the easy part. Seperating the shaft from the hub was the fun part. Make sure you have a BFH for that.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
If I remember right from when tbirdbrain and I replaced my rear bearings and knuckle bushings, the halfshaft nut was the easy part. Seperating the shaft from the hub was the fun part. Make sure you have a BFH for that.
what he said X2

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
should I just have a shop with tools do it for me?

Part no for the axle nut?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am just going to go buy a half-shaft axle assembly at the junkyard, lol

I think it's easier that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts