TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im changing my front and rear pads and im also changing the rear rotors, can you guys give me your expert advice so i wont mess anything up???? i have a 95 3.8 xr-7 so i have the rear discs also. thanks for the help

CamellionCat

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Definitely a rear brake tool. And, though it wasn't mentioned by anyone to me, while using the rear brake tool push while you turn it. If that doesn't make sense to you now it will when you see how the brake tool works.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
It is not necessary to remove the caliper pins, to access the pads.

Just unbolt the caliper ASSEMBLY from each spindle.

15mm hex head, I think.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what rear disc tool are you guys talking about a c-clamp????

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
no, not a c-clamp. It's a special tool to turn in the piston to "reset" the parking brake mechanism in the rear calipers. The one I got from the auto parts store kind of looked like a little cube that had holes to fit on a 3/8" drive rachet an each side had different patterns of "bumps" that fit into the notches on the top of the caliper piston to turn the piston in. Someone on here should know exactly what they call the thing. On my car, it was a major PITA to turn in the piston; I'm guessing this was because the parking brake was not used very much.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Yes it is a PITA to use, but try doing it without the tool! It actually isn't that hard to use, and there is a thread on here that shows you a way that makes it much easier to use. By the way, you can use a C-Clamp on the front calipers.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Funny this came up, I just got some new rotors for the front and I have never done the brakes on my 94. It only has 38,000 miles on it and when they got done the first time I took it to ford. So the only special tool I need for the front is a 15mm hex?? Anything else I need in order to get these rotors off?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts