TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im fairly sure that the trans fluid has never been changed in my car. it has almost 150,000 miles. i have heard from people that if i change it now it could destroy my transmission. i was just wondering if any one has had that problem.

·
Registered
799 Posts
i keep mine changed and i run a trans cooler mines is starting shudder now but it has 250,000 miles on it..

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
if its never been changed at all, yeah putting new fluid in it(definatly syn fluid) may cause problems. it couldn't hurt to do it i suppose, especially at 150,000. at that millage with no fluid change, your probably headed for a rebuild/replace really soon anyway, might get you a few extra thousand miles.

I'd go for it, drop the pan change the filter, drain the T/C, and fill it with some mercon, maybe not the mercV might be a waste if it blows up later, but if your not having problems with slippage that couldn't hurt either. MercV will stop the vibration problems these trans get. make sure you don't put Dextron(GM brand) in it... seems to kill these trans, or at the very least make the T/C vibrate.

long story short, filters and fluid are cheep "shrug" might as well... if it gives you an extra 20000 miles, it was worth it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Definately..

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
What makes you think it's never been changed?

If it's been performing OK, good bet it has even if not exactly every 30k like some preach. 30k is good, it's when I try to do it, it's when I did it with my police cars ...
... but many go past in normal use and 50k doesn't mean death.

If you never change the fluid and look for the white or faded yellow bobbin with o-ring you'll never know.

No bobbin, it's been changed.

Find more than one bobbin, it's been changed and someone put an extra back in there.

Just one bobbin, likely never been changed.

I say change fluid completely and filter. Not a backflush, drain the pan and torque converter, change filter, and while doing it add a cooler in front. Should take 12 ... maybe 13 quarts with additional cooler ... Mercon V .

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What makes you think it's never been changed?
the only reason i think this is because i have owned it for 2 years and my brother owned it for 10 before me. he has never changed it and nor have i. so chances are, it hasnt been done. IMO.

i do have another question. is there any better way to change the fluid rather than removing the cooler line and running the tranny dry. i only ask because i have always been told that running the tranny dry is a major no no. just thought i would ask. it just seems odd to me.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,572 Posts
You can always do it the messy way.

Get under the car, pull the rubber grommet out of the bell housing. Rotate the crank by hand (clockwise) until you can see the drain plug on the torque converter. Draining it will take about 15 minutes.

Once that's done unbolt and drop the pan. I was able to do it without getting completely drenched; my hands got dipped but nothing past my wrist.

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
Oh, and post pictures of the inside of the pan when you get it off of the car.

It would make a great conversation piece.

I'm not sure if the stock converter has a drain plug. If not just drop the pan and pull the valve body and J-mod the sucker! When you drop the valve body the TC will back drain some. Even on a high mileage trans the Jmod will work wonders. I didn't J-mod mine until about 180,000 miles.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the j-mod makes me nervous. not that im afraid the mod will hurt my car, just that i will mess it up. i am completely clueless when it comes to auto transmissions. i have read a lot about the j-mod but i have little faith in myself and my auto trans abilities.

SCP has a shift kit for the 95's and i think that it is a new valve body. is it basically the j-mod? anybody know?

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
RobertP can hook you up with a ready to go kit for much less than SCP charges. Where is Greentown anyway? There are a few of us around the country that may be able and willing to help you put a J-mod in your car.

I have also provided phone and field support to a few people who have been installing this kit for themselves.

I highly recommend calling Robert to discuss what you need.

Get this kit for $120

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=126550

vs. this kit for $225.99 and a $75 core charge.

http://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=229

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
greentown is in between akron and canton ohio. i dont know of anyone on the forum that is from this area. but im not totally sure. thanx for the help with all of this trunk monkey

·
Super Moderator
9,572 Posts
I'm in Avon Lake, about 20 miles west of Cleveland. There are a few on here from Youngstown too.

·
Super Moderator
9,572 Posts
Yeah, I did endless reading on all the step-by-steps I could find at least three times over before I felt confident doing it. I offered to do the mod to a friend who also has a 97; after I was successful doing mine he let me to do it to his. No problems from either car so far and I did the work about 7 months ago.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so i have been looking for a trans cooler and im wondering what size lines i am looking for. do i need one that takes a 3/8" line or a 5/16" line?

This is the one that i have been looking at on ebay. Will this work for me?

·
Super Moderator
9,572 Posts
I'd stay away from that design in general; the stacked plate design is MUCH superior to the tube and fin designs in both durability and efficiency.

I bought the B&M 70264 off Amazon.com. Cost me less than $50 with free shipping. I did have to buy two extra nuts/bolts/washers for the mounting as well as a few extra feet of hose from a local parts place. It's 3/8" IIRC. Be certain you get transmission cooler line. If you like I can try to get some detail pics of the install tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
9,572 Posts
Just ahead of the A/C condenser.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts