TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed their gears in an 8.8 rear end? How hard is it to replace them yourself? I want to upgrade to 3.27. If I have a posi rear end right now can i still have it when I replace the gears? Also how much time would come off of a 1/4 time if I was going from a stock 95 bird with stock gears to 3.27 gears? Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i replaced mine myself, but it wasnt the easiest thing in the world. it has to be just right and then its probably still not perfect. if you already have traction-lok you can re-use the differential, but make sure it is still good before you put it back in with the new gears.

as far as the 1/4 is concerned, if you can REALISTICALLY show a drop of .2 seconds you are doing good. get several runs before the new gears at a normal temperature, then do the same with the new gears. there are too many variables that can change on different days at the track, youll see anywhere from 0 to .3 second improvement, but realistically your gonna be around .15 just from the gears.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
What motor is stock in the 95? Do you mean the base 3.8? Or stock 4.6L?

Anyhow, the pod is very easy to remove, but changing the gears themselves is BEST LEFT TO A PROFESSIONAL!!! You have to know exactly what you're doing when setting up the shims, setting backlast, tollerences, etc. I let my mechanic brother do my stuff, and even he is cursing and swearing at it (we're in the middle of putting 4.30's into a pod).

If you'd like the procedure for ripping the pod out of the car, I'd be happy to oblige :).

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
If you have a 4.6L - you should have the 8.8" rear end gears :).

If you had the 3.8L - it'd be a 7.5" rear end, which may be harder to find gears for...

OK - now that you've come to your senses about having a mechanic change the gears ;) - you CAN remove the pod yourself. It takes about an hour, but a mechanic would charge about 2 for it. Bastards :D!

If you want procedure, I'll type it up. But since I'm already late for work - I GOTTA GO!!!

Kevin.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Installing 373s soon

I am installing my gears soon.
Well I say Im, actualy Im asst service mgr at pepboys so Im
going to have a tech there do it.
Are there any tricks to it?
The tech has changed the gears in his LT1 powered s10 several
times, But he never mentioned shims or anything of that nature.
Does it come apart just like the stang 8.8?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I've never taken apart a 8.8" Stang unit before :p.

All I know, is that the ring and pinion are interchangeable.

When the pod is out of the car, and apart, there are 2 shims, roughly .25" thick per side. When a new ring is installed, it has to shimed to the proper distance from the pinion (carrier?), by adjusting the thickness of the shims (add some to one side, subtract from the other). It's painstaking work, and you have to know what you're doing. It ain't like installing a shock or a radiator. It's got to be precise, otherwise you'll wind up with slop, noise, and eventually it will fail.

·
Registered
204 Posts
First, you should check the drivers door post to see what axle you have right now.
8.8 with 3.27s w/TrakLok is the most common diff found in SC automatics & early XR7s, so why not just pick 1 up and swap it in? Opening yours is not the best way to go in this instance. If you were going to much higher (less common) gears, you wouldn't have much choice.

·
Registered
437 Posts
MercCougarXR7

I hope you're not suggesting that the RING gear be shimmed! The Pinion is what gets shimmed.

68COUGAR

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The one that attaches to the drive shaft, is the pinion, right? It gets 'shimmed' with a crush sleve, AND a slim (.029") shim. But the side, where the axles poke through to meet the assembly there, they have a .25" (roughly) 'shim' on each side.

I may not know the correct terms, but I have a pretty good idea what all goes in there now ;).

Kevin.

·
Registered
130 Posts
why 3.27?

BigBird,
Two things:
First, check your vehicle certification label to find out what gears you currently have. To my knowledge very many the 4.6L option came packaged with 3.27 trac-lok.

Second, why 3.27? It isn't a very agressive ratio. I think you might find 3.55 or 3.73 more to your liking if getting into the power band is your interest. I have 3.55 in my car (it was made that way for some Canuk) and it is, IMO, "heavy" from the line. Of those cars that have 3.27s, I don;t consider them great starting off the line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts