TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason getting the fl820s oil filter out is a big pain in the neck. Im not sure if someone put the wrong ps pump on it before i bought it but the ps line and fitting that go into the ps pump are right in the way and i have to basically take that hose off to get out the filter.. Anyways i was wondering if i could switch it up to a fl500s oil filter which screwn on fine and is a little thinner so its easy to get on and off. My question is sense its smaller would that effect my engine in anway getting less oil or something??? I just have it stock nothing performance or anything... Thanks for the help. Recap can i use fl500s instead of fl820s???

·
5,650 Posts
I've found that the front suspension needs to be loaded, meaning the front wheels either on the ground or on ramps, wood blocks, etc. in order for the sway bar be out of the way enough to provide access. If your front wheels are hanging, this might be your issue. As far as the filters, it being smaller just means its capacity for holding contaminants is less. I wouldn't run extended intervals between changes if you use a smaller filter than intended.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Or you can get the kit from Jegs or Summitt and relocate the filter to inside the drivers side front fender.

Like I did, makes an oil change a snap. Just reach in under through the front valance and un screw it no mess.

And you can use PH8A or FL1A filter. More capacity.

Small hint though use the steel braided high pressure line with quick disconnets.

·
Registered
811 Posts
you need to pull it out, the back towards the firewall, then up and over stuff. You can move the PS line out of the way without damaging anything. You're going to spill oil, you can't avoid it because the filter will at one point need to be turned upside down so it can go up and over the sway bar. (going from memory, have done a change myself in a while and a shop did my last one)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I pulled my filter from the bottom front. It's tight but not impossible. Got put rags down everywhere as the oil left in the filter will spill out for sure. I did find I had to be real careful feeding the new filter back in though to avoid getting crap on the clean mating surface. One of the harder to get at filters for sure.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
^^Or maybe use the oil drain pan to catch the oil from the filter!

The filters are a PITA to R&R from underneath, but it isn't impossible. I always sit a piece of carboard underneath after I am done to catch the oil that collects and drips from between the harness and frame.

Al

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
+1 on just reaching down and pulling it out from the top. FL820S here.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
I do have ABS, but I haven't had any issues moving the hose out of the way. It's a tight squeeze but I figure it's better than dumping the filter onto the K-member and trying to get it out the bottom.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
It isn't easy, but it isn't hard either. The new shorter FL820S filters (same amount of filtering media, new smaller can) make it easier though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have been taking mine out the bottom since the car was new. I agree that it is easier with the suspension loaded. Also, the plastic cowl on the bottom under the radiator...the back side, toward the engine...there are two plastic push clips holding in the back side that is meant to be pulled down and folded toward the front of the car...made that a TON easier for my fat arms!!! ;)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I always pull them from the bottom there's a method to doing it, and afterwards I use brake clean and shop rags to clean them up.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have never had a problem pulling from the bottom or top? I usually do bottom but it is really easy for me.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I go from the bottom on mine, but to help control the spill, I take a small sheet of aluminum foil and stuff it up over the K-member, once I get the filter loose to the point where it still seals, but I can back it off with my hand. I unscrew it by hand, turn it upside down to let the oil pour down the foil into the catch pan, and back it out (closed end of the filter first) by pulling it up then forward. Sneaking it past the PS pump, I then turn the corner and pull it down from the front. Works like a champ and takes no time at all. The foil makes cleanup a 1 rag affair.

Pete

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Good idea on the foil dude, tried it yesterday, worked like a champ!

Normally oil gets stuck behind that harness and drips on the driveway overnight.

Al

1 - 20 of 33 Posts