TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, im going to change the plugs and wired tomorrow. My fuel pump recently died, so i got a new one, I figured well, might as well change the plugs. Drivers side of the engine looks easy enough, the passenger side, not so much. You guys got any special tricks? Im going with Bosch Platnum 2's, if thers anything better with that price range (3 bucks a plug) let me know :D

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
Just go with autolites, 1.57 a plug, but you have to gap them at .054". as for special tricks, find someone with small girlish hands to put in the plug closest to the a/c compressor. i still have burns on my arm from a mildly warm cyl. head. and get a swivel head ratchet. that worked good too.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Steven, you shouldn't be changing the sparkplugs when the heads are warm at all. You run the risk of pulling the threads out of the sparkplug holes that way.

I do agree with using autolites over the Bosch gimmicks.

-Rod

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Go with the Autolite Platniums. $2.48/plug at Advance. Mine are going on 3 years. Same performace as new.

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
racecougar said:
Steven, you shouldn't be changing the sparkplugs when the heads are warm at all. You run the risk of pulling the threads out of the sparkplug holes that way.

I do agree with using autolites over the Bosch gimmicks.

-Rod
i did it on purpose, it was either then or in the rain that came three hours later.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Gene, Under the alternator you may need to use some swivels to get that plug out.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
The front two on the passenger side can be done from below. I also have a couple of 1 inch extensions that I use to get a good shot at them but still able to turn it more than 1/1000 of a turn.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When i had my bird i didn't have to use any tricks to change the plugs, i just did it. But my arms and wrists can bend weird too so ?? But yea make sure to wait till its cool to change 'em.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car runs like brand new now. I put some acell wires on it since someone I knew didnt need them for the engine he was building up anymore. I figured I would just give it a complete tune up every year, only cost me 50 bucks for everything.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I will be doing my plugs and wires shortly as well. I don't have to remove anything off the top of the engine do I? I mean, besides the CAI system?

-Kornhaus

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Scott, on the N/A or on the SC motor? On the SC motor, God Love ya. You/ll have to come up from underneath and probably have to remover the intercooler tubes. That is why people put Autolite Double Platinum plugs in those SC motors, so they don't have to change them very often.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
PCD said:
Scott, on the N/A or on the SC motor? On the SC motor, God Love ya. You/ll have to come up from underneath and probably have to remover the intercooler tubes. That is why people put Autolite Double Platinum plugs in those SC motors, so they don't have to change them very often.
Sorry... I should have specified. I am talking about my N/A 3.8 motor. I just turned over 80,000 miles, and am going to give her a tune-up.

-Kornhaus

·
Registered
310 Posts
If your A/C is evacuated because of leaks like mine, unbolt the rear lines from the compressor, that made it MUCh easier for me

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
I guess I have either nimble appendages or a high pain tolerance because when people mention the v6 spark plugs or 4.6 oil filter I wonder what the problem is, because I had trouble with neither. Trust me guys, after you work on cars for a living, you'll find that the mn12 platform (no matter the engine type) is much easier to work on than a lot of cars out there. But to answer the original question, autolite plugs are good, motorcrafts are best, a platinum plug will give you the best gas mileage and longevity, copper will give better performance but wont last as long. I just use a swivel and I can do the plugs in about 15 minutes.
-Thomas

·
RWD is for Men!!
236 Posts
trial and error for me... i removed the air tube and had to use a combo of swivels and extensions to get the plug under the compressor, other then that the rest were a breeze

·
RWD is for Men!!
236 Posts
raising the dead again... i also used motorcraft platinums

·
Registered
36 Posts
Now, I've never done the V8's, 5.0 or 4.6 in an MN12. But I have done a lot of the 3.8L's. And that was a walk in the park.
Now the SC, well that car is a whole nother world, no matter what your doing!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts