TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the 4.6s the plugs are deep in the head, over time dirt and grit will work its way past the plug boots down into the plug chamber. It is very hard if not impossible to "suck" the grit out. After cleaning the engine its worse! The plugs actually become rusty and I am sure that when some water works its way past the plug boots, so do the dirt and grit. Each plug change allows that dirt & grit to get into the cylinder causing wear. When you tighten the plugs you can actually feel and hear the grit grinding. Next change I do I am going to put long life plugs in!

Just my opinion.

RT

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Get an air compressor :rolleyes:. Air in a can? WTF is that gonna do?

Changing plugs couldn't be easier than on a 4.6L, they're changed every 2 years on my cars, and they don't even get many miles on them.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Even more important.... Clean the "shelf"between the rocker covers and the intake, where the plug holes are, with a vacuum cleaner before even thinking about pulling the wires.... otherwise youll knock something in the holes, and then into the engine. I use a tiny vac wand after pulling the plugs (carefully) to be sure no crap gets into trhe engine,,,, also anytime I have the wires out (like removing the manifold) , I stuff about half a kleenex into the plug holes as I allways drop something in that wedges there.... LOL

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
yeah it you dont have an air compressor canned air will do. like the stuff they make for cleaning computers, that would work really good. as long as you get all that dirt out of there and not into the cylinders, just not changing your plugs isnt the answer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts