TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on changing the spark plugs today, I am wondering if anyone has any tips to ease the change. I replaced the rotor in the distributor while the car wouldnt start thinking that may be part of the starting system. So I figured that I would change the plugs while im at it. Any suggestions would be great, thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
8,242 Posts
Any suggestions would be great, thanks in advance.
Small hands help! :D

Drivers side is a piece of cake, passenger side is a bit more difficult. I just removed the intake tube to give me more room.

Joe

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Patience, small hands and extensions.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great lol I only have 1 of the three (extensions), and its cold out so of course here comes some bloody knuckles lol.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but just take your time and remove what's in your way right away. You'll be glad when you're done.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so heres how it went, the first two I broke, so I had no choice but to continue lol , got the 3 on the drivers side done in about 25 minutes and went on to the passenger side. I removed the intake tube and tried to reach in to pull the boot off of the first one when I found my hands are way to large to get through all the a/c plumbing, so after about 10 minutes of trying to get at any of the three I gave up. I will bring it to someone who has smaller hands or a better concept of angles then me because I couldn't maneuver my hands in there from anywhere. However with just the 3 I did get the car is feeling a lot better at idle and when I get on the gas.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
start with the passenger rear plug first.... it gets progressivly easier after that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Extension and joints !

thewishkah,

Othees have mentioned the difficult passenger side rear plug- it's a nasty one. I 've had my 3.8 for 9 years and for the first year was very frustrated since I didn't have the required two elbows to do this job. Not only the skinned knuckles and cuts, I ruined a spark plug wire by ripping the wire off the plug boot. Eventually, I bought a set of cheap socket extensions and universal joint. If you remove the intake tube and set up a jointed socket arrangement, the rest of your ownership will much less painful ! I wish I'd done it the first month I had the car,...

Cheers,

Bambi B

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
i can do the pass. side without all that crap. ratchet/socket/maybe 3in ext. done.

i have skinny hands :)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
shut up! lol I have big hands, im a big guy. I tried all different extensions with the universal joint extension but I cant get in close enough to get it right, How much can they charge to do one side anyway? I have the plugs so it should be cheap.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
the wishkah,

Oh, probably $25-$30 for 1/2 hour work at their standard rate per hour.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I kinda had to chuckle at this video, though it was helpful if you have not done this before.

http://www.ehow.com/how_110_replace-spark-plugs.html

I do want to point out the socket wrench the tech is using. I find these kind make it a lot easier to get into tight spaces like the passenger side. The one he has is a Snap On 3/8's long flex head ratchet.

I have also used this kind of ratchet with success:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol any average joe could do the plugs on that car lol. I have never seen a car with easier to change plugs. If they did the video on a first generation explorer it would have been more complicated lol. Removing the front wheel to get at one was a pain is the butt, but was doable with large hands unlike the cougar lol.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
lol any average joe could do the plugs on that car lol. I have never seen a car with easier to change plugs. If they did the video on a first generation explorer it would have been more complicated lol. Removing the front wheel to get at one was a pain is the butt, but was doable with large hands unlike the cougar lol.
Same goes for a 2nd Gen Explorer/Mountaineer. I have a '97 Mountaineer. Taking off the tires is not that hard.

Replacing head gaskets to make changing plugs easier on an MN12, now that is a biatch:D
That is my spring project.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol I know taking the tire off is not hard but its just annoying to have to jack it up and then put it back on. That shouldnt be necessary lol. Good luck with those head gaskets Luckily my explorer motor head out well, wish I could say the same for the a4ld lol. I miss my explorer even though it was a money pit.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
or if you happen to have the engine swinging on a chain, that makes it easier too. i changed mine before i sat it in. but it's easy for me :D

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
lol I know taking the tire off is not hard but its just annoying to have to jack it up and then put it back on. That shouldnt be necessary lol. Good luck with those head gaskets Luckily my explorer motor head out well, wish I could say the same for the a4ld lol. I miss my explorer even though it was a money pit.

I was referring to the head gaskets on my Cougar. My Mountaineer is a 5.0:D

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ahh ok lol. If I get another truck it will be an 01 mounty 5.0 with 2 wheel, even if I have to remove parts to make it 2wd, or I will do the brown wire mod if im lazy lol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts