TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Well, it's not hard, just kind of a pain getting to the top bolt. Starter's on the passenger side, on the bellhousing. Crawl under there and have a look, you can't miss it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just wondering. If starters are a commonly replaced part on the mn12s. I haven't had a single problem with mine. But just in case.
I'll tell ya what. The worst starter i ever had to exchange was on a Fiero. If i remember correctly. We had to pull the alternator in order to get to it. In order to get to the Alt we had to pull the wheel off. Oh we also had to drop the exhaust and pull it outta the way.

By the way are there any shims on they t-bird starter.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Hah. Shims. That's a GM thing.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
tinman_72 said:
Hah. Shims. That's a GM thing.
Actually it isn't, I had to shim my starter with one washer when I did the Mark 8 TC.

I am still on my stock starter at 111k and yes that top bolt is a *****! When you put the starter back, you don't need to put that top bolt back in. You'll understand when you get there, I had to cut down a 1/4 inch ratchet to get to mine because I didn't have the right tools at the time.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
jordansypek said:

Actually it isn't, I had to shim my starter with one washer when I did the Mark 8 TC.

Then I will revise: Hah. Shims from the factory. That's a GM thing.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
jordansypek said:

I am still on my stock starter at 111k and yes that top bolt is a *****! When you put the starter back, you don't need to put that top bolt back in. You'll understand when you get there, I had to cut down a 1/4 inch ratchet to get to mine because I didn't have the right tools at the time.
Why did you have to shim your starter?

-Miller

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doesnt make sense...
Had the car in the shop for a whole day, they checked the starter, battery and all the connections. There was nothing wrong and after sitting for a night, the car started right up.

Right before it died the other day, I took it through a car wash, could something have gotten wet??

Car is sitting at my house now, runs just fine.:2huh:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, forgot to say that the car wouldnt start the other day, thats why it was in the shop.
Just got a few clicks, thought it was the battery and then the starter but as you can see, it isnt.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
miller1995 said:

Why did you have to shim your starter?

-Miller
No idea man, I was kind of confused myself. When I went to start her up, she was grinding like an sob. So we got two washers shimmed it, and it went away.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
I would still say your starter is bad. I had a problem with my car not starting right away for a couple of days before it gave up the ghost.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
jordansypek said:

No idea man, I was kind of confused myself. When I went to start her up, she was grinding like an sob. So we got two washers shimmed it, and it went away.

Could you describe the noise? I am tryign to track down the cource of a grinding noise in my new trans.

Thanks,
-Miller

Sorry Jason for hyjacking your thread.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks alot brian!!...:D

Its cool, actually the problem with me was only a bad battery and the terminals needed cleaning.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
powerhouze said:
The worst starter i ever had to exchange was on a Fiero. If i remember correctly. We had to pull the alternator in order to get to it.
You want tough to change? Try a Cadillac Northstar engine... the starter is down in the bottom of the V... to change it, you must take EVERYTHING off the top of the engine... Fun stuff...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nice. Since we're on the topic of tough stuff. I just changed my heater core. You have to pull the entire dash to get to it. I redid my interior neons and cleaned up the coolent that was spilled all over the passenger floor. I was up all night. Well I still saved a good deal of change. 23 for core. and 23 for hoses. That was fun to. :rolleyes: I had to cut and splice the hoses. Noone had the preformed ones.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts